Respected Contributor

How to relocate photos using either Photo or Photos

I bought a house I'm going to fix up and resell.  I've been taking photos as each project progresses.  There are pictures I took when I gained possesion of the house that I now want to combine with the ones showing the "before, during and after" status.  I want to name the events/albums Kitchen, Deck, etc. so I can find the pictures I want without looking through dozens of pictures.  Would the best way to do this using iPhoto be creating new albums then dragging the pictures to them?  

When I used Windows, I would create folders using Windows Explorer and name them for what's inside.  There was an option of copying or moving the items I wanted to organize.  With Apple, moving something doesn't seem to be an option. It seems like I have multiple copies of photos everywhere.  When I want to upload these pictures, the new albums I've created don't always show up so I can select what's inside.  I can't tell you how frustrating that is.  Thanks for any help. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How to relocate photos using either Photo or Photos

You should be able to create a folder in Iphoto and arrange everything in there

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Hi, @glb613!  I still haven't had time to really use the photo apps other than backing up my images, so I'm no help with these questions.  We need @Cha1k here!   I was wondering -- since you're a "power user" of photos on these devices -- if you found any of the internet articles or the Apple support PDF to be useful as detailed guides?  This one looks detailed and helpful:  http://www.imore.com/how-use-photos-os-x-ultimate-guide

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I bought a house I'm going to fix up and resell.  I've been taking photos as each project progresses.  There are pictures I took when I gained possesion of the house that I now want to combine with the ones showing the "before, during and after" status.  I want to name the events/albums Kitchen, Deck, etc. so I can find the pictures I want without looking through dozens of pictures.  Would the best way to do this using iPhoto be creating new albums then dragging the pictures to them?  

When I used Windows, I would create folders using Windows Explorer and name them for what's inside.  There was an option of copying or moving the items I wanted to organize.  With Apple, moving something doesn't seem to be an option. It seems like I have multiple copies of photos everywhere.  When I want to upload these pictures, the new albums I've created don't always show up so I can select what's inside.  I can't tell you how frustrating that is.  Thanks for any help. 

Are you working on your iPad with iOS 9 or your computer in OS X?  I will assume you are on the computer.

Yes on creating albums.

Then if you want to export the photos in the album to a folder on the desktop, select all the pics in the album, go to File ---> Export and save the folder.  They will be in order by the number Photos assigned.  You can change the name/number and arrange them in the order you want (inside the folder) by being in the icon view....not a list view.

To get your albums on the computer to transfer to your iPad, make sure iCloud is turned on in System Preferences on your Mac for Photos.  You might want to consider turning on iCloud Photo Library if some of your photos are older and no longer appear in your photo stream on the iPad.

Respected Contributor

Cha1k wrote:

Are you working on your iPad with iOS 9 or your computer in OS X?  I will assume you are on the computer.

Yes on creating albums.

Then if you want to export the photos in the album to a folder on the desktop, select all the pics in the album, go to File ---> Export and save the folder.  They will be in order by the number Photos assigned.  You can change the name/number and arrange them in the order you want (inside the folder) by being in the icon view....not a list view.

To get your albums on the computer to transfer to your iPad, make sure iCloud is turned on in System Preferences on your Mac for Photos.  You might want to consider turning on iCloud Photo Library if some of your photos are older and no longer appear in your photo stream on the iPad.

I'm working on my iMac.  What I want to do is create a folder within iPhoto then create subfolders within the main folder and I don't think I can do that.  Is it possible with Photo?   I want a main folder called House remodel then within that folder have subfolders called kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc.  

I know I can create folders with subfolders in Finder and that may be what I have to do. 

Super Contributor

Yes, creating nested folders is possible in Photos -- I haven't done that yet so I'm not sure how.  

Here's a link I found useful while I was transitioning from iPhoto to Photos.  Scroll down a bit and you'll see the nested folders info.

http://fplanque.com/dev/mac/os-x-photos-app-survival-guide

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cha1k wrote:

Yes, creating nested folders is possible in Photos -- I haven't done that yet so I'm not sure how.  

Here's a link I found useful while I was transitioning from iPhoto to Photos.  Scroll down a bit and you'll see the nested folders info.

http://fplanque.com/dev/mac/os-x-photos-app-survival-guide

Thanks, I'll look at it and see what I can do.  I really want the pictures I take of the house remodel to be in one place.