Esteemed Contributor

I get Medicare, election & car warranty calls daily.  There is an option on my phone you can turn on so only #'s on my contact list will ring through.

Occasional Contributor

I too suffered from frequent telemarketing/spam phone calls.  I tried call blocking devices, not answereing calls from unknown numbers, and hanging up in the middle of the pitch.  Nothing stopped it or reduced the frequency.  When I moved (within the same zip code), I elected to get a new a new phone number at my new location before disconnecting the phone at my old location, so I established a new account.   I did not disconnect the old phone number until after my move was completed.  It was an inconvenience to have to notify everyone, but I no longer get the incessant phone calls.  I love the peace and quiet and don't answer any phone calls from unknown numbers.  

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

DH does not want to get rid of the land line house phone.

What is it with DHs and land lines?  We've had our landline for 44 years.  I've had the ringer OFF for at least 3 years.  No one calls us on it except scammers.  He would never know it if I had it disconnected and just left the phone on my desk LOL  I might get 2-3 spam calls/week on my cell phone.  I'm pretty sure Verizon as a spam block feature but of course it's not going to catch everything.

Honored Contributor

I've mentioned this before.  We get"ghost" calls.  The phone rings, but no one on the line.   Leaves a empty message.  We've had them for a couple of years.  They seem to come in cycles.  I would get a lot (only on my land line) then it would whittle to a few.  Eventually no calls. These calls never occures on weekends.   Someone is hired to makes calls.  They are random numbers via computer.  They just want to see if anyone is home.  For a while I would get one phone call that rang only once and stop.   I looked it up and read you should never call the number back.  You can hooked on to paying for international numbers. Those calls have stopped thank goodness.  I rarely if ever get any abusive calls on my cell phone. Currently, I'm spam free. For a while I had the free No more spam service.  It did not help very much.  They would report it as spam.  But the computer keeps spewing out random number.

Honored Contributor

I did it!  I disconnected our landline of 44 years.  We were paying $25/month for the privilege of having scammers/spammers call us several times a day (but I've had the ringer off for over 3 years).  Now to see how long it will take my husband to notice Smiley Surprised  It will feel so good to toss that phone in the trash after I give it a few good smacks with a hammer.