Super Contributor

Question for Mac Book Pro Users

My daughter's Dell laptop has just about had it.  She would like a Mac Book Pro.  She is a college student, so we want to make sure we buy her a computer that will last.  What operation system do you recommend.  Also, how much RAM do you think is best.  Thanks in advance for any information form you Mac Book Pro pros.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Mac Book Pro Users

Most colleges recommend Mac there is often a student discount, that give they are pricey but they last and their customer service is tops

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Kcubed  Went from a Dell to Apple and have never looked back!  I have the 13" MacBook Pro (new)  and an MacBook Pro 15" (about 5 years old).  I have 8g of ram in my new macbook but I increased the harddrive because it can't be purchased later for this computer (be sure to get the student discount and apple care).   She will love her new computer!

Respected Contributor

Be sure to check with her college.  Some colleges have special requirements as to operating systems.  Many colleges have special "deals" for students.  I'd check there first. 

Honored Contributor

Macs all run MacOS (currently Sierra), you don't get the choose the operating system. RAM ect would all depend on what she needs to do with it. Is doing any graphic design? In a art program? Or just have basic computing needs.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Most colleges recommend Mac there is often a student discount, that give they are pricey but they last and their customer service is tops

Sept 25th is the last day Apple is offering the student discount, I got an email reminder about it this morning. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.