Esteemed Contributor

Cost of getting computer help in your area

Without ranting about how I was treated this weekend, I am looking for a new computer person (tech) to come to my house and help with problems when they occur.  I am fairly intuitive so I have been able to do things on my own but when a problem arises and I need help I need to have someone to call.  I am wondering what the going hourly rate might be but after being badly burned I don't want to have a repeat incident. I may have found someone but I want to start off with clear guidelines.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Cost of getting computer help in your area

[ Edited ]

I've never had a computer problem that couldn't be fixed over the phone during a session with tech support at the appropriate location.  I'm certainly not the most computer savvy person, being self-taught, but I can listen and follow instructions.   Several times people here have offered advice that enabled me to correct a problem.  I don't know anyone who has a visiting tech come to their house. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu On rare occasion when I need to call my tech guy his rate is $85 an hour.But there have been times when he worked for 3 hours & only charged me for 2.I've used him for about 13 years since he was a college kid.Now he owns his own tech business.

How much did you pay?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu

Hi Smiley Happy

I use GEEK SQUAD! Heart They are great!

What types of computer issues do you most often need help with?

Do you have a pc? Or a mac?

Do you need help with the operating system problems, viruses, slow running computer?

Or, do you need help with specific software issues? Such as Microsoft WORD, EXCEL, Photoshop, etc?

IF you have a pc, and are needing operating system help and fixes, and virus removal help, then I can highly reccommend GEEK SQUAD! Go to their website and sign up. They have various programs. The one I have is for ONLINE TECH SUPPORT, but for a small fee, I can also bring my pc or laptop into a BestBuy to get worked on IF they are unable to fix it online.

We have GeekSquad on ALL of our pc and laptops. It is soooooooo easy! You just go to their site and log into your account. Then click on the link to CONNECT TO AN AGENT. You chat online, telling them the issues you are having. Theymwill habe the tech REMOTELY CONNECT TO YOUR COMPUTER, and they fix whatever is wrong! It is great. You do not have to hang around while they work...just go about your day. Smiley Happy  I DO give the Agent instructions for the Tech to CALL ME if there are any issues. You will need to be logged on to your ADMIN account on your computer, and you will need to plug in your passworkd for them to access. You can always change it later, but I have never had any issues with them. We have had the service for over 5 years. You also get VIRUS PROOTECTION (Webroot, cloud based) with your Geek Squad account. I believe you can use your  basic account on up to 3 computers. 

After many HELLACIOUS years of dealing with horrible techs at Dell and Gateway, let me tell you.... GeekSquad is a dream!!

I honestly cannot remember how much it cost to sign up....I want to say $90? BUT, the monthly fee after that is nominal. I think it is under $10 per month, so $120 per year. I think for covering 3 computers and virus protection, that is a super deal vs what you pay for a one time in home visit.

Btw, I think they do have an in home visit service as well. Ask! 

If you have a mac, I am not sure GeekSquad covoers those. ASK. 

I also do not think they cover software issues. They may be able to help with reinstalls? Not sure. Ask them.

I hope this helps some! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have two PC's and just got two new ones.  But they were old.  I have had this tech since he was a teenager.  He was a great guy, once.  But he has gotten "not so nice."  It is not his hourly rate, it is the time he stays and completes and task and then finds a way to charge me for everything and then complains when something goes wrong that he is responsible for.  I  was his target for his frustration and he really showed bad manners and literally exploded and used violent speech by my standard.  In other words as a customer I AM WRONG no matter what and I OWE HIM.  Once something is done there is no support unless I pay.  And should I even ask a question he is annoyed. 

I will look into Geek Squad and hopefully there will be some good feelings that I can relate to. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't use the Best Buy "techs" (Geek Squad?).....When I was in grad school and my computer crashed, I called Best Buy and they came to my house and charged me more than my computer was worth...could have bought a new one. It was a Dell; now I purchase only Apple products.   I was desperate to complete a paper or I never would have completed the transaction.  

Honored Contributor

For the vast majority of problems, if you just do a Google search clearly stating the problem, you can find the answer for free. Computer hardware is generally very reliable. I've only had two failed power supplies and one failed optical drive in over 20 years of computing. Viruses and malware pretty much have to be invited in these days as the operating systems are now pretty much ironclad. Whatever problem you're having, someone else likely had it before you, found a solution and posted it online.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Don't use the Best Buy "techs" (Geek Squad?).....When I was in grad school and my computer crashed, I called Best Buy and they came to my house and charged me more than my computer was worth...could have bought a new one.  I was desperate to complete a paper or I never would have completed the transaction.  

A friend paid $300 to have malware removed from a computer in her home. This was with the Geek Squad. It was a 5 minute job.

Honored Contributor

We have laptops so when I get stumped I take it in and they usually charge me only $29.00, period. Benefit of living in a small town, I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

Please make sure you important data photos etc are backup.