Honored Contributor

but darned if I know which one?

Honored Contributor

Re: A new iPhone WILL be mine

[ Edited ]

I have a 6+ now, the X looks great but I'm unsure at this point. What I'm really wanting is the new Watch 3, I've been waiting for them to give the watch cellular service and now they have. 

And now we know why they dropped X from the mac OS, it has been OSX-something for  a long time. I was wondering why they dropped X.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

me too! getting mine next month 😊

Honored Contributor

Having read the specs of all, I expect I'll opt out. The 8s are not offering anything hugely different than my 6S (which does not have a good internal antenna) - enough to make me want one except the larger one (spec-wise) and I won't carry a phablet.

The X sounds interesting but the price stops me as well as being an early adopter of a brand new untried model. I want to wait and see what people think of it, what issues there are (and there will be issues) and what goes wrong with it before I seriously consider it. Also, I want to see some comparison photos with photos taken with a Galaxy S8 and the soon-to-arrive Pixel 2.

I'm awaiting the Pixel 2 to decide between it, the Samsung and a X. I especially want to see if they're forced to lower the X's price.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I have a 5s and its time to upgrade!  But which one?  Too many choices i suspect will leave me sticking with my 5s.  The X is tempting but i dont want to be Apples Beta Test.  But the other two, what about them??  Buy soon to be old technology?  So will i just wait for the second generation X.  Probably.  

Honored Contributor

I would like to upgrade from my 5S, too, but I won't spend $1,000 for a phone.  I don't want a large phone either--not sure which one I would buy but would stay with the iPhone.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

M.i.g.h.t be a little 'buggy'.

Excerpt from Vice:

Apple says that its new face recognition system is so secure that the chances of a stranger being able to unlock it are one in a million. Unfortunately for Apple, the first time it showed off the new security feature in public, it failed.

Craig Federighi, Apple’s vice president of software engineering, was on stage in the Steve Jobs Theater on Tuesday to showcase the innovative features of the $999 iPhone X. First up Federighi had to unlock the new device. “Unlocking it is as easy as looking at it and swiping up,” Federighi said. But when he looked at the front-facing camera above the screen, the phone didn’t seem to recognize him and went to the passcode screen.

...and stock price reflected during that time.  

There's video during the conference...ackward.

Hummm. I'll wait.

IMG_2891.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re the face recognition - bad news for those who wear eyeglasses or have sunglasses on at any given moment. 

I don't wear my glasses every minute. At home I wear them 60% of the time. When out I wear them - and sunglasses - 95% of the time. However you look at it, I'd have to either put them on or take them off (and sunglasses as well) every time I wanted to use the phone. I would count that a giant PIT*. 

And you know there will be bugs - both with the ID and with other things.

If I forked out $1200 (what it would cost me with tax in my state plus Apple Care) I would be veeeeeery unhappy with any glitches.

I'm a died-in-the-wool iPad fan; love it. But after having had two iPhones over about 4 years, due to various issues and the price, I seriously doubt my next phone will be an iPhone. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

According to the presentation on Tuesday, glasses, change of hairstyles and facial hair will not cause the facial recognition to fail. They even demonstrated using masks to bypass recognition will not work. Don't know the magic details yet except that the original scan will be thousands of points on the face and they have estimated that the chances of someone else being able to use your iPhone X is one in a million (as opposed to one in 50,000 right now).

Honored Contributor

My 4 year old Samsung died last week and I went to Verizon and picked up an iPhone 7plus.  So far I love it though I know a new iPhone 10 is supposed to come out soon....the 7plus will probably be on sale then.