Honored Contributor

Re: Problem With My iPhone... Dangerous?

UPDATE:

I got a text this morning on my iPad and IT crackled and hissed.  I tried the fix and so far it's not having a hissy fit again over a text message.

This all began after the latest update.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7, thanks for posting about the update.  I will be interested to hear how this gets resolved.  LM

Honored Contributor

Interesting.  It almost sounds like it's more about the update than a malfunction of the hardware.   

I sincerely hope they are able to get you fixed up.  

My husband has an iPhone.  Somebody told him to NOT do any updates because, they say, that updates skrew everything up with these products.

I don't know how much, if any, of that is true.  But, of course, my husband took that and ran with it.  He won't do any updates to his iPhone because he has decided that iPhone updates are evil.    (he tends to take an exaggerated stance to most things)  hehe

When I recently purchased my Samsung Galaxy S7 he told me about this and warned me that doing updates is not a good idea.  *sigh*   I've been running the updates and so far, so good.  The thing is with phones (and other electronics) now is that some of the updates are security-related.

For Apple products, however, I don't know a whole lot.  I have iPods and that's about it.   I have had some problems, over the years, with iTunes updates.  Currently, I can't seem to get it to put all of my songs/albums onto my newest iPod (from a couple years ago), and still can't figure that one out.  There are several of them that are in my iTunes, but not in that iPod.   For the sake of keeping myself without additional stress, I've just backburned that for a long time.  

Honored Contributor

Hi @chickenbutt

I hate updates but sometimes you're forced into them.  I was forced to do the Windows 10 update and shortly after that a lot went wrong.  I had no control over the volume anymore, I had a hard time shutting it down, on and on.

Today's UPDATE is that it's worse.  I almost jumped out of my skin at lunch, the cackling and hissing were really loud, I thought it was going to pop. 

I think I'll end up at the Apple store this weekend... bummer.

Honored Contributor

I feel for ya on that Windows 10 thing.  I lucked out and found out how to get out in front of it before it 'upgraded' any of my existing computers.    An OS upgrade doesn't often go that well.  That would especially apply with this particular OS in particularly older computers.

I have since purchased a new laptop that is OEM with Win10,  I don't like the operating system at all.  It's too intrusive and takes away too many choices that I think I should have when I purchase that particular license.  

I'm not saying I would change things that would adversely affect the operating system, of course.  But it either corrupts or just completely kills off programs that I use.  There is no reason for this.  But I digress.

Of the laptops I currently have in service, I use that new one the least. It's a shame because it's a really nice laptop.  But Win10 is too frustrating because every time there is an update I have to worry about losing programs.  Some I've been able to re-install but some never worked again and re-installs were just flat not allowed.   That's not cool.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Noel7 wrote:

Hi @chickenbutt

I hate updates but sometimes you're forced into them.  I was forced to do the Windows 10 update and shortly after that a lot went wrong.  I had no control over the volume anymore, I had a hard time shutting it down, on and on.

Today's UPDATE is that it's worse.  I almost jumped out of my skin at lunch, the cackling and hissing were really loud, I thought it was going to pop. 

I think I'll end up at the Apple store this weekend... bummer.

Hi, @Noel7!   I use a (heavily-used) iPhone 5.  (iOS 10.3.2)   I always install new updates when they're released but I understand why some people prefer to wait a short time 'til new updates have been more widely tested.    Apple never forces updates, however.    They just recommend them, particularly when security is involved.    I've never experienced this problem and I did a quick search and I don't see any recent Apple.com info about this (maybe I overlooked it), but I do see reports of "hissing," "static," etc. with various iPhone models and numerous iOS versions over several years.   

Many of the articles I scanned say the problem seems to show up when the device processor is under a heavy load.   So, perhaps you hear it when a number of apps are running in background, for example.    You could try to be sure to close apps running in background, turn off anything running/updating/pushing/fetching/refreshing/etc.  that you don't need, and see if that eliminates the problem.   It seems to me if the problem related to the speaker it wouldn't only happen when a text arrived...  do you have a sound enabled for incoming texts?   Have you tried changing the sound for that to see what happens?   You didn't say what fix you tried.   Sorry you're having problems, I know that can be annoying.  

I hope you're doing well!    I'm not here as often as I used to be, and so I miss your posts but think of you and yours often.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

chickenbutt wrote:

Interesting.  It almost sounds like it's more about the update than a malfunction of the hardware.   

My husband has an iPhone.  Somebody told him to NOT do any updates because, they say, that updates skrew everything up with these products.

I don't know how much, if any, of that is true.  But, of course, my husband took that and ran with it.  He won't do any updates to his iPhone because he has decided that iPhone updates are evil.    (he tends to take an exaggerated stance to most things)  hehe

When I recently purchased my Samsung Galaxy S7 he told me about this and warned me that doing updates is not a good idea.  *sigh*   I've been running the updates and so far, so good.  The thing is with phones (and other electronics) now is that some of the updates are security-related.

For Apple products, however, I don't know a whole lot.  I have iPods and that's about it.   I have had some problems, over the years, with iTunes updates.  Currently, I can't seem to get it to put all of my songs/albums onto my newest iPod (from a couple years ago), and still can't figure that one out.  There are several of them that are in my iTunes, but not in that iPod.   For the sake of keeping myself without additional stress, I've just backburned that for a long time.  

Hi, chickie!   Hope you're doing well!  Sorry your husband got that odd advice about iPhone updates.    Generally speaking, the initial update to a completely new iOS (such as going from 9.x to the first release of 10.x) has the most potential for glitches and, of course, when we update immediately when a new version is released we might experience a few previously unknown bugs.    For the most part, looking at the number of iOS updates and low percentage of problems, it's wise and safe to install them and waiting too long can put the device in peril of missing important security safeguards.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt  I have an iPhone 5s and have done all the updates.  I've never had a problem.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Last time I was in the Apple bar a guy came with a speaker problem and the tech brushed out the lint and sent him on his way.  How embarrassing!  

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I know people like your husband.  I don't understand why some choose to believe bad advice and you can't change their minds. 

You must be using some very old programs to have them fail to work after a Windows update.  I had several games fail to run after I updated my iMac to the newest IOS update and they were old.