Honored Contributor

Problem With My iPhone... Dangerous?

I take very good care of things, my iPhone is like new, never drooped, never near water, not a scratch on it.  It must be around two years old now.

Yesterday I received a text and it sounded like a short in a speaker, cackling and hissing.  I wasn't sure it was the phone then, it was around other electronics.

It happened again today when I got a text from my daughter.  I turned it off and put it in the safest area around the house that I could think of, away from flamables and kitties.

Taking it in to the Apple store Saturday.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Problem With My iPhone... Dangerous?

Maybe you can call Apple in the meantime?  (Do you still have a land line?)

Respected Contributor

My iPhone was about three months short of its second birthday when it just died.....for no apparent reason.  I also took care of mine as you described, @Noel7....I think it just wore out.  Got a new IPA...love it!

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Maybe you can call Apple in the meantime?  (Do you still have a land line?)

Good idea, thank you @Krimpette

I do have a landline.  I also have an old fashioned phone I keep in a drawyer for power outages.  I try to cover all the bases Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

My iPhone was about three months short of its second birthday when it just died.....for no apparent reason.  I also took care of mine as you described, @Noel7....I think it just wore out.  Got a new IPA...love it!

Hi @alicedee

I am pretty sure I took out the extended care package, it should be covered.  My daughter knows a few of the managers at our Apple store, they're really good about giving you a new phone.  We'll go there.

ps I love the name Alice Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

That happenned to me about 2 weeks ago.  It did it twice and hasnt done it since.  I didnt think it ws my phone, but some interference with my service .

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

That happenned to me about 2 weeks ago.  It did it twice and hasnt done it since.  I didnt think it ws my phone, but some interference with my service .

That's good to know, thank you @meem120 !

Honored Contributor

I've had that happen to mine several times and its less than a year old. A crackling sound. But then it stopped. I think it was just something going on with the internet connections and I think it may have happened during rain or impending storm type weather (but may have happened other times, ;can't remember).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I've had that happen to mine several times and its less than a year old. A crackling sound. But then it stopped. I think it was just something going on with the internet connections and I think it may have happened during rain or impending storm type weather (but may have happened other times, ;can't remember).

Thanks, @on the bay.  I'm going to look online, see if I can find anything.

Honored Contributor

I looked online and there are several references to this problem, we are not the only ones.  Apparently it's in the speaker.

Article here on what's going on and how to fix:

https://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-iphone-make-a-static-noise-fix/

My daughter said she found an article on this problem, recently posted by Apple.  It also gives a fix.  She's going to go through it with me tonight.