Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,175
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

My iMac is dead

[ Edited ]

It was working fine, I put it to sleep, came back to use it and it won't start.  I have a backup from March so I shouldn't lose too much.  I'm going to take it in and see if it is an easy and inexpensive fix.  If not, I guess I'll be buying a new one.  You never know when a computer will go belly up so, be sure you make regular backups. 

 

Edit:  I unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer, plugged it back in and it's working.  I had unplugged it from the wall and nothing.  So, I'm making a backup as I write this post.  You never know when your computer will die. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,804
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: My iMac is dead

I have an IMac too.,

 

The batteries may be dead. My older Mac used 2 batteries. My new Mac uses 1 battery. Have to find where the battery is on the new Mac.

 

My Mac mini is my big computer as fas as I know there are no batteries connected with it. 

 

I believe my computer is back up nightly the Mac mini

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,791
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: My iMac is dead

@glb613 , so glad you were able to resuscitate it.  How old is it?  LM

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,155
Registered: ‎07-27-2015

Re: My iMac is dead

Thank goodness you were able to backup your data. I know how it feels when a computer crashes and you lose important data. I now have an external drive that backs up daily as well!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,863
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: My iMac is dead


@glb613 wrote:

It was working fine, I put it to sleep, came back to use it and it won't start.  I have a backup from March so I shouldn't lose too much.  I'm going to take it in and see if it is an easy and inexpensive fix.  If not, I guess I'll be buying a new one.  You never know when a computer will go belly up so, be sure you make regular backups. 

 

Edit:  I unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer, plugged it back in and it's working.  I had unplugged it from the wall and nothing.  So, I'm making a backup as I write this post.  You never know when your computer will die. 


@glb613- During my career in I.T. that was always the standard joke.  The first thing any programmer would do with equipment that was not working was "shut it off, unplug it and plug it back in".  Worked 99.9% of the time.

 

Sometimes equipment just throws a "wobbly" for no apparent reason.  (Dust, static, a loose connection, all kinds of things can affect them.)  Glad you got it sorted and you're very wise to do regular back-ups.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,175
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: My iMac is dead


@Venezia wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

It was working fine, I put it to sleep, came back to use it and it won't start.  I have a backup from March so I shouldn't lose too much.  I'm going to take it in and see if it is an easy and inexpensive fix.  If not, I guess I'll be buying a new one.  You never know when a computer will go belly up so, be sure you make regular backups. 

 

Edit:  I unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer, plugged it back in and it's working.  I had unplugged it from the wall and nothing.  So, I'm making a backup as I write this post.  You never know when your computer will die. 


@glb613- During my career in I.T. that was always the standard joke.  The first thing any programmer would do with equipment that was not working was "shut it off, unplug it and plug it back in".  Worked 99.9% of the time.

 

Sometimes equipment just throws a "wobbly" for no apparent reason.  (Dust, static, a loose connection, all kinds of things can affect them.)  Glad you got it sorted and you're very wise to do regular back-ups.


I've owned a computer since 1995 and this is the first time I've had anything like this happen.  I've had power supplies and hard drives fail but, nothing which was fixed by unplugging the power cord from the back of the computer. I've been thinking about buying a new iMac and maybe this is a sign. 

 

I make backups once a month but hadn't done one in April.  I not only have external hard drives for backups, I also use iCloud.  I need to start uploading documents to iCloud more often. After I retired, I didn't have anything other than photos which were of great value.  Since then I've become president of a service club and a Master Gardener so, I have a lot more to lose.  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,461
Registered: ‎10-07-2013

Re: My iMac is dead

@glb613I have an iMac.  On occasion, I've had problems with the plug on the back of the computer. 

 

I use Time Machine and a LaCie "Rugged" external hard-drive.  I have Time Machine set to back up once an hour.  It does it automatically.  A couple of times I had to restore something from the backup to the hard drive.  Worked like a charm.

 

I also use iCloud for off-site storage.  That way, I can access documents off-site and even from a PC if I need to do so.  Did it one time when I had a power failure at home.  Access worked great.  Was able to do what I had to do just like it was on my iMac at home.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,175
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: My iMac is dead


@cats01 wrote:

@glb613I have an iMac.  On occasion, I've had problems with the plug on the back of the computer. 

 

I use Time Machine and a LaCie "Rugged" external hard-drive.  I have Time Machine set to back up once an hour.  It does it automatically.  A couple of times I had to restore something from the backup to the hard drive.  Worked like a charm.

 

I also use iCloud for off-site storage.  That way, I can access documents off-site and even from a PC if I need to do so.  Did it one time when I had a power failure at home.  Access worked great.  Was able to do what I had to do just like it was on my iMac at home.


I don't think I have enough changes to do a backup once an hour.  But, I do need to back up my photos and documents more often.  Do you have Time Machine set to only back up certain folders?  If so, how? 

 

We have having a members only meeting this week and I need the older board meeting forms to set the agenda.  Thank goodness I was able to fix the computer. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,098
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: My iMac is dead

@glb613 if you up grade to the newest operating system,you canput everything on icloud.  backup is automatic. im very happy with it. Make sure you open each of your apps after you upgrade to activate the icloud backup.  the picture, notes, docs etc instantaneously available in all devices 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,435
Registered: ‎07-26-2014

Re: My iMac is dead

@glb613 

 

"Do you have Time Machine set to only back up certain folders?  If so, how? "

Double click the TM icon in the menu bar.

Click on "Open TM Preferences"

Click the "Options" button on the bottom right...

Screen_Shot_2019-04-08_at_Mon__Apr_8__2019-12_11_14_PM.png

 

Next window will be the "Exclude These Items From Backups"  which is pretty much self explanatory.  Follow the onscreen instructions...

Screen_Shot_2019-04-08_at_Mon__Apr_8__2019-12_15_49_PM.png

 

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."