Respected Contributor

Re: My iMac is dead

[ Edited ]

@glb613Mz iMac has the answer to one of your questios.  As to "hourly backup", I don't have that much either.  I just let it back up what's there without having to remember to do the back up.  If I'm not mistaken, it eventually gets rid of the oldest back up in favor of the latest one.  When you click on "Enter Time Machine" you'll get your files plus a click-on time scale at the right side of the screen.  You can choose what your back up from there.

Respected Contributor

Well, I left, I put my computer to sleep and when I got home, it wouldn't start.  I unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer and it started.  Something is wrong and I wonder if it's something fixable. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My iMac is dead

[ Edited ]

@glb613 

Make sure your power cord is "secured" at the back of your iMac.  It's possible your power cord is defective and/or the iMac connector itself. 

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

And if that does not work......

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Take your iMac to an Apple Store or an APSP.  Diagnostics are FREE!!!!!  Be sure to mention your "power cord" issue at the back of your iMac.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@glb613 

Make sure your power cord is "secured" at the back of your iMac.  It's possible your power cord is defective and/or the iMac connector itself. 

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

And if that does not work......

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Take your iMac to an Apple Store or an APSP.  Diagnostics are FREE!!!!!  Be sure to mention your "power cord" issue at the back of your iMac.

I have it shutdown right now so, I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.  Something is wrong.  There is no normal reason for your computer to do this. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

Well, I left, I put my computer to sleep and when I got home, it wouldn't start.  I unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer and it started.  Something is wrong and I wonder if it's something fixable. 

The good news is that everything is "fixable." The bad news is that quirky, intermittent problems can be a pain to track down. It could be something very easily fixed, or something more challenging, but it is fixable. My best guess would be a bad cord which is a very easy fix. It could also be a failing power supply, also easy to fix, though a tad pricier. I doubt that the problem goes deeper than that, but if it does, it's still fixable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

The good news is that everything is "fixable." The bad news is that quirky, intermittent problems can be a pain to track down. It could be something very easily fixed, or something more challenging, but it is fixable. My best guess would be a bad cord which is a very easy fix. It could also be a failing power supply, also easy to fix, though a tad pricier. I doubt that the problem goes deeper than that, but if it does, it's still fixable.

This problem is so odd, it has me baffled.  As I posted, I've had a hard drive and a power supply fail (one each 2 different computers) and when that happened, the computer was DOA.  If I shutdown the iMac, it starts by pushing the power button without any problems.  If I let it go to sleep overnight, it won't start.  I'm going to BB and buy a new power cord today and see if that stops the problem. 

Unlike the majority of people today, I use my desktop 80% of the time.  I really want a new iMac and would prefer to donate my old one if it's in good running order.  I'll update if I ever find out what is the problem.  

Honored Contributor

This sounds  a lot like your problem. You might want to give it a look.

https://www.macissues.com/2015/05/08/how-to-fix-your-mac-not-waking-from-sleep/

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It really is dead now.  I was reading the newspaper and the screen suddenly went black.  Nothing I've tried has worked.  With it being Easter Sunday, no stores are open.  I have time Monday to take it in to be checked out but, unless it's something easy to fix, I'm buying new.  

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

It really is dead now.  I was reading the newspaper and the screen suddenly went black.  Nothing I've tried has worked.  With it being Easter Sunday, no stores are open.  I have time Monday to take it in to be checked out but, unless it's something easy to fix, I'm buying new.  

It's probably the power supply. They can get a bit quirky before dying. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix on a Windows PC. Probably more expensive on a Mac. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

It's probably the power supply. They can get a bit quirky before dying. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix on a Windows PC. Probably more expensive on a Mac. Good luck!

Sounds like it to me.  When it comes to hardware, nothing on a iMac is DIY.