Honored Contributor

Re: My Laptop Has Bit The Dust

@juperier wrote:

@drizzellla  I agree that it's very possible that you son simply did not wait long enouigh for the updates to finish. When I updates one of my pc'sthat had been sitting unused for quite a while due to me using my laptop. It was still running Windows 7 and it quite literally too all night to get everthing updated and Windows 10 installed. And this was a computer that I built myself with well above minimum specs. When I went to bed, I thought I might have killed it. But in the monring everything was just fine. 

You might be right. My son took off Windows 10 and also took off Macafee. And then put on Windows 10 and suddenly we could get on line. But now we can't use Macafee. 

I have moved to my husbands computer. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably never use my computer again. 

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla How did you get McAfee? Did you purchase it? Didyou get it through your ISP? Or maybe through your employer (the college I used to work at made it available to employees for free)? 

In any case, you should be able to re-install it. In the meantime, are you aware that Windows 10 has it's own buildt in anti-virus program? I'd still turn it off and instally whatever program works for you )you can't have more than one anti-virus program turned on at the same time). Just know you're not completely unprotected.

Also, I wouldn't re-install McAfee until all the updates for Windows 10 have finished running. Again, that could take quite a while depending on how many of them were already included in the upgrade.

I'm not reading anything that indicates you'll never be able to use your computer again. It does seem like your son will be gaining a bit of computer knowledge and experience in the process tho. 

Honored Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@drizzellla How did you get McAfee? Did you purchase it? Didyou get it through your ISP? Or maybe through your employer (the college I used to work at made it available to employees for free)? 

In any case, you should be able to re-install it. In the meantime, are you aware that Windows 10 has it's own buildt in anti-virus program? I'd still turn it off and instally whatever program works for you )you can't have more than one anti-virus program turned on at the same time). Just know you're not completely unprotected.

Also, I wouldn't re-install McAfee until all the updates for Windows 10 have finished running. Again, that could take quite a while depending on how many of them were already included in the upgrade.

I'm not reading anything that indicates you'll never be able to use your computer again. It does seem like your son will be gaining a bit of computer knowledge and experience in the process tho. 

We paid for the McAfee. The updates for Windows 10 are complete. Guess that is why he did not reinstall McAfee.

He has played around with our computers quite a bit, through the years. Therefore, we each had our own computers. But the one I used, was a tower had LOTS of memory so he slithered on to using mine. Which was no problem until now.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla Glad I could help a bit. I dont' recall having to uninstall my anti-virus when I upgrade. I may have had to turn it off tho. Too long ago for me to remember. Since you bought it yourself, you would need to contact McAfee if you have any problems. I've always just donwloaded and used the program my ISP (for me Comcast) provides. Inutually it was McAffe, but they switched to Norton several years ago. Before I retired, I had McAfee at work. Never had any problems with either one.

Honored Contributor

Juperier - we have used both Norton and McAfee. Not sure how we ended up with McAfee. So I told my son all the information you gave me.

He said, thanks. We will check it out. 

Honored Contributor

I received my Chrome book today, I hope to get around to using it over the weekend (I'm not tech savvy so I hope I can do it). I have to say I was very surprised this came by USPS and not UPS (no signature required). My mailman rang the bell and left it. It was a good thing I was home. How does a company (Amazon) just leave a $500 item with the possibility of someone stealing it? Also I ordered a micro sd card that was suppose to be in the box and wasn't. Thankfully Amazon has great customer service and is sending out another one at no cost to me.