Honored Contributor

Re: My Laptop Has Bit The Dust

@MKR14 wrote:

I decided to purchase the TSV in the 15" Gold HP Laptop. It will do whatever I need and the 1 year accidental warranty, backlit keyboard and PC mover  will be nice. It already has the new Creator Update installed on it. I did a Live Chat and they sent my question to the Rep and he answered it on air. The Intel i3 will be better than the version of my AMD is on what I have now. I almost bought the rose gold but I think I would get bored with it. I love that the gold has a black keyboard also. You can use the mouse and not touch the screen to use it. I have 30 days to check it out.

Good luck and enjoy your new laptop!

Honored Contributor

I went back to Best But today ( you can read about my Saturday experience on post 26). You might wonder why I would go back, I have a $55 credit on my credit card, and I'm determined to use it! I saw a flash drive I wanted online,Best Buy was selling it for $79.99 and Amazon and B & H Photo were selling it for $54.99! I went armed with copies of proof of the price, of course they didn't have it in stock and I had the salesperson order it for me. I got the $54.99 price. I asked the salesperson why the $25 difference, he tried to tell me the other sites must have had it on sale. I told him Amazon sells it at that price everyday of the week! Just goes to show you need to do your research so you don't get taken advantage of.

Valued Contributor

I understand i just had to leave my Vista pal, I have much contempt for Windows 10.

Honored Contributor

Be careful what you wish for....

Consumer Reports is no longer recommending Microsoft Surface laptops and tablets.

The publication on Thursday removed its "recommended" rating for Microsoft's Surface Laptop and the Surface Book. This applies to both 128GB and 512GB storage options.

This is the first time in two years Consumer Reports removed a laptop recommendation when it pulled ratings for three Hewlett-Packard models and a Lenovo laptop due to repair histories.

Consumer Reports recently conducted a survey of nearly 91,000 people who bought new laptops and tablets between 2014 and the beginning of 2017. The study estimated that about 25% of Microsoft Surface devices will have problems by the end of the second year of owning the product. These problems could include a laptop randomly shutting down.

That finding applies to Microsoft devices with detachable keyboards, such as the new Surface Pro and the Surface Book, in addition to Surface laptops with clamshell designs.

"Microsoft is relatively new to the hardware business, and this is the first year we've had enough data to estimate predicted reliability for the company's laptops," the publication said in the report.

The publication, known for unbiased product testing, said it can't recommend any other Microsoft laptops or tablets due to "poor predicted reliability" compared to other brands.

Some survey respondents reported problems with their Microsoft devices during the start-up phase. Others said the touch screen was not responsive enough or that the devices froze or shut off unexpectedly. The report does not specify how many users experienced this.

Microsoft launched its first Surface tablet in 2012. Most recently, the company unveiled the Surface Laptop, a portable option for students, and updated the Surface Pro, a laptop with a touchscreen.

microsoft surface laptop

However, Microsoft told CNN Tech it doesn't believe the findings accurately reflect Surface owners' "true experiences."

"Microsoft Surface Pro is designed and built with performance and reliability in mind. Microsoft's real-world return and support rates for past models differ significantly from Consumer Reports' breakage predictability," a Microsoft spokesman said.

Microsoft also pointed out that the Surface Pro, for example, received high performance and versatility marks in Consumer Reports' laptop lab evaluations.

The publication said "a number of Microsoft products" have performed well in its lab tests but noted predicted reliability is also important to consumers.

Apple remains the most reliable laptop and tablet brand, according to Consumer Reports' survey.

ARTICLE LINK

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jordan and all who are looking for a new laptop or something similar to replace it.  I'mglad I came across this post.  I too am needing a new laptop.  My DELL for 5 years stopped on me and I got it from the Q.  Great laptop as much as I used it.  I have at home the "All in One" HP which is nice for one spot but its just not the same as a laptop to carry anywhere.  I feel your pain Smiley Sad   I have been looking at Chrombooks but the only thing keeping me from getting one is they dont have the CD/DVD on it.  I cant pull up my photos, watch a movie, or even listen to a CD.  I need help myself Jordan2?  Does this bother you or any others?   Not having that feature on a Chromebook?  I'm learning about them but as someone said,..for that kind of money and on easy pay...I think I will go back to my beloved laptop.  Also I dont know much about tablets.  What is really the use for those? Can someone help?

Honored Contributor

@LilDarlin wrote:

Hi Jordan and all who are looking for a new laptop or something similar to replace it.  I'mglad I came across this post.  I too am needing a new laptop.  My DELL for 5 years stopped on me and I got it from the Q.  Great laptop as much as I used it.  I have at home the "All in One" HP which is nice for one spot but its just not the same as a laptop to carry anywhere.  I feel your pain Smiley Sad   I have been looking at Chrombooks but the only thing keeping me from getting one is they don't have the CD/DVD on it.  I cant pull up my photos, watch a movie, or even listen to a CD.  I need help myself Jordan2?  Does this bother you or any others?   Not having that feature on a Chromebook?  I'm learning about them but as someone said,..for that kind of money and on easy pay...I think I will go back to my beloved laptop.  Also I dont know much about tablets.  What is really the use for those? Can someone help?

@LilDarlin, I'm not tech savvy in the least, but I'm telling what I am doing. I ordered a USB flash drive from Best Buy (I haven't received it yet) so I can download my music, pictures, and files to it. I think with the Chromebook you get 100 GB of storage in the Cloud. Also most Chromebooks have a slot for an SD Card so you can expand the Chromebook's memory. I could be wrong about all of this, maybe someone will come along to straighten this all out!

Honored Contributor

So after all my TALK, TALK, TALK, I finally did it, I bought a computer! I decided to get the Samsung Chromebook Pro (which is $50 off right now on Amazon and Best Buy). I bought it from Amazon, because Best Buy's protection plan for 3 years is way overpriced (I've had their Geek Squad before and thought it was a waste of money). I also bought a micro sd card to expand the memory storage. I swear when I buy a pricey item I break out in a sweat and have buyer's remorse right away! I hope I like it. Come November or so I'm going to get the new iPad Pro as my iPad is 4 years old.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 As far as the apps on Playstation go, The "stabile channel" is going to contain apps that are already well-tested and working well. The "beta channel" will have apps (or updatged versions of apps) that have most likely had most major bugs fixed, but potentially still have bugs that haven't been identified yet. Unless you are very tech-savvyand/or willing to suffer a bit of frustration running an app, I would stick with stabile apps. No matter how well programmers write the code for a program, there will always be issues that don't come to light until a larger number of people with varying setups use the app.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla  I agree that it's very possible that you son simply did not wait long enouigh for the updates to finish. When I updates one of my pc'sthat had been sitting unused for quite a while due to me using my laptop. It was still running Windows 7 and it quite literally too all night to get everthing updated and Windows 10 installed. And this was a computer that I built myself with well above minimum specs. When I went to bed, I thought I might have killed it. But in the monring everything was just fine. 

Trusted Contributor

@LilDarlin Personally, I like a dvd player on my laptop also. But built-in ones are getting harder and harder to find. You can buy a standalone one to attach when you need it. You will normally need two available usb ports to connect it. You will also need software allowing you to watch store bought dvd's, tho this normally comes with the player.