Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Meltdown and Spectre processor security flaws,

Haven't seen any posts recently about this issue (maybe I've just missed them).  Wondered if folks were aware and have done anything to try to protect themselves.  I'm mostly an Apple person.  I saw where the update patches came out on January 8th, I believe.  I updated my MacBook Pros and my iPhone.  Wonder if that will do any good.  Scary stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Meltdown and Spectre processor security flaws,

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge. Thank you!!!!!  I was sure it had been posted, but couldn't seem to find it.  I had forgotten that I even responded!  (Getting old!!!!).  I guess it was fresh in my mind when I did the updates to my Apple devices yesterday.  I then mentioned it to some friends who just bought iPhone X's and they had no idea what I was talking about!  Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette@x Hedge, thanks for the reminder.  Just did the update to phone and iPad.

i still haven’t installed High Sierra on my MacBook Pro.  I had a prior issue and Apple advised me to hold off to late January.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  You're welcome!  I haven't installed High Sierra on my old MacBook Pro (which is the one I seem to be using the most).  I have a new MacBook Pro and had my computer guru install High Sierra on that.  I have vivid memories of when I installed Sierra on this older Mac.  I ended up on the phone for hours with Apple.  They got me through it because they have such wonderful phone support.  However, I'm just not going to do it on this older Mac.  (Despite the nagging pop-up reminders!)

I wonder why they wanted you to wait until late January?

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette, I had an issue with my MBP which was less than a year old.  The cursor was jumping elsewhere in text when I typed.  Had a mind of its own.  Finally got that issue resolved and they didn’t want any bugs from new software rearing it's head until that was put to bed.  I think I will wait til the end of Jan early Feb to do it.  I have mixed feelings about it but hopefully most of the bugs will be sorted out by then.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom. Good luck, when you do the update.  If you think about it, post and let us know how the installation went.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette, will do.  I will post after my installation.  

I gave Apple a really hard time so they aren’t looking forward to seeing me again.  I told them I was headed to small claims court if they didn’t fix my computer or replace it.  That after they blamed my typing instead of their computer for the issue. They replaced my trackpad ($600).  That didn’t fix it.  They uninstalled and reinstalled the OS and that fixed it.  LM