Respected Contributor

Re: MacBook Pro ... Jumping Cursor

We started having trouble after I downloaded the new High Sierra.10.13.1

jumping curser,

not being able to access all sites using Safari, and having a black screen with colored dots when starting up the computer.

Took it to a local repair and paid about 180. Brought it home and  the curser is a bit better, but all other problems remain.

I think it is the new upgrade. The guy at the mac repair place knows us and knows we have been apple users since the apple 2. He wondered why we had downloaded an upgrade so quickly. 

Lesson relearned.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hennypenny, I appreciate you sharing this information.  The guy at the Apple Store told me not to download High Sierra.  He didn't say why.  It is not on my computer.

An update.  @Mz iMac, I appreciate your advice to call Customer Care v. Apple support.  I got connected with a customer care rep yesterday who will shadow my issue to resolution (hopefully).  I also have an Apple Support person assigned to deal with me.  Here's what I did.

I escalated the issue on the phone.  Told them I wanted a new computer as the issue was identified within the warranty period.  They say there are steps  they must do before a new computer.  I asked them to assign a person, not at the Genius Bar, to outline the process/roadmap to resolution or replacement.

We are now going to go through software testing to see if that is the issue.  I agreed to follow their defined process.  If at the end of the day the issue is not resolved or the computer not replaced. I will take the matter to small claims court.  

I have an appointment for telephone customer care today at 3.  There is a senior person assigned to troubleshoot with me.  She will be my contact until we are finished.

We'll see how it unfolds.  LM

PS, about the store and the Genius Bar.  It is just a nightmare going in there.  I have gone on two separate occasions for classes.  You can't hear yourself think, let alone hear the presenter over all the background noise.  I did reviews after each class which were very negative.

The Genius Bar is just as bad.  The Geniuses don't spend any more than two minutes with you before they are running to help someone else.  Again, the noise level is awful.  It is only going to get worse with the holidays coming.  I would much rather deal with the troubleshooting by phone where I can share my screen with the Apple rep.

Esteemed Contributor

An update.  Had the telephone call with the senior tech.  Two hours on the phone.  Jumping cursor happened.  Happened two more times right after I hung up.  She sent some info to the engineers to see if there were coding issues.  No reply on that front yet.

Had another appointment at the Genius Bar yesterday.  Completely wiped the OS and reinstalled Sierra.  I have now loaded my content (documents etc) back and other software.

The tech basically said if this didn't fix the issue that it was possibly (I'm too polite ...probably is the right word) my issue, not a computer issue.  Said the track pad is very sensitive and I must be hitting it.

Before the afternoon was out, I had four calls from Apple to see the appointment went.  Good follow up on their part for sure but too soon to give them any feedback which I will do after some use today and tomorrow.

The tech told me not to install High Sierra.  As I mentioned on another post, although he didn't say it, I took it that there are issues with High Sierra that they don't want to have to deal with until this issue is resolved.  I asked when I could install it and he said not before January.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

An update.  Had the telephone call with the senior tech.  Two hours on the phone.  Jumping cursor happened.  Happened two more times right after I hung up.  She sent some info to the engineers to see if there were coding issues.  No reply on that front yet.

Had another appointment at the Genius Bar yesterday.  Completely wiped the OS and reinstalled Sierra.  I have now loaded my content (documents etc) back and other software.

The tech basically said if this didn't fix the issue that it was possibly (I'm too polite ...probably is the right word) my issue, not a computer issue.  Said the track pad is very sensitive and I must be hitting it.

Before the afternoon was out, I had four calls from Apple to see the appointment went.  Good follow up on their part for sure but too soon to give them any feedback which I will do after some use today and tomorrow.

The tech told me not to install High Sierra.  As I mentioned on another post, although he didn't say it, I took it that there are issues with High Sierra that they don't want to have to deal with until this issue is resolved.  I asked when I could install it and he said not before January.  LM

Those in the tech world call such problems PICNIC. (Problem in chair, not in computer.) Given the number of cases of the jumping cursor I could find that were traced to wireless issues (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.) I don't think it's a PICNIC issue as much as a shielding issue of some sort. These complaints date back seven years or more and often originate out of the blue. It's not like a clumsy typist suddenly stops being a clumsy typist once they change a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi setting. (Oh, if only it were that easy.) 

If you look at a motherboard as just a series of conductors and ignore all of the electronic odds and ends, then it's essentially an antenna. (Actually a lot of antennas.) Put a conductor in the path of a radio wave and voila! it generates an electrical current. A small current, but a current all the same. Now depending on the frequency you wish to receive, the antenna takes different forms, but pretty much anything with a conductor is in some way an antenna. (Oddly enough including humans. If you go way back to the old days of rabbit ears, you could sometimes improve a signal by holding one of the rods in your hand. Your body became part of the antenna.)

Modern homes/offices are awash in roughly a gazillion radio waves these days. This jumping cursor issue seems to be caused by the shorter range radio signals (typically Wi-Fi or Bluetooth) and the manufacturers of such devices sometimes let a device through with too powerful a signal. I'm guessing that there's a circuit inside Apple computers that's responsible for moving the cursor that's a little too closely associated with the frequency range of those shorter range signals. When they find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time and the wrong signal reaches them, the cursor jumps. (Which when later noticed turns the computer user into a curser due to the language that emits from the person when they see what they've typed after the cursor jumped.)

Now at the do-it-yourself level you could try solving the problem by wrapping the entire computer in copper foil that's grounded to ground stray signals reaching the device, but that's awkward at best. You could only use the computer inside a Faraday cage, which is an area shielded to prevent (or at least limit) electromagnetic interference. ( A tick pricey, but it would limit the government's ability to eavesdrop on you, so there's a bit of a bonus there. Of course, the government would probably be curious as to why you were building a Faraday cage.)

If the reverting back to the old OS doesn't solve the problem, this will likely be something you'll have to live with until you buy a new computer. (Hint: Buy an established model and check the reviews to see if anyone is complaining of a jumping cursor now, or on previous models. This is a pretty common problem on Apple computers based on the Googling I've done. I haven't looked to see if it happens routinely on other makes/models.) Good luck with the reverting back to the older OS. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Steve Jobs is missed.

I've had no problems at all with a mid-2011 iMac (21.5") and the early 2015 MacBook Air, running High Sierra.  The Air hasn't seen a hardware update in awhile and I think that may be a good thing.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, great reply.  The tech I saw yesterday was very annoyed with me.  Said it must be me.  Next time I will ask him if he thinks is PICNIC😳 and see what he says.  The other comment he made which I found a bit curious was that if I was doing a lot of typing, what did I expect.  🙄 He was more civil at the end of it but I think that's because I was soon headed out the door.

I bought a late model 2015 MacBook Pro at the end of 2017 so I wasn't really for on edge of new technology.  I liked this model because it had a couple of USB ports, an sd card slot and a lightning port as well as a headphone jack.  Your comments about checking reviews is a good one.  I hardly ever buy anything electronic without a pretty exhaustive review from several sites and this issue never jumped out at me.

I will give this a test tonight and transcribe some news as I listen to local tv.  If I were still working and used word processing extensively, I might take this further.  At this point, even if the computer were replaced, there is no guarantee I won't have the same issue.

All in all, their customer service was not bad, even if the last guy blamed it all on me.  I guess he had nowhere else to go at that point.  

Your input put and everyone else's here is much appreciated.  I learn a lot here, such a great group @gardenman@Sweetbay magnolia@hennypenny@glb613@Mz iMac@

If there is any substantial change, I will update you.  LM

PS, I still love this computer.

Esteemed Contributor

I have spent the last two days doing word processing since the reinstall of the OS.  I am almost afraid to say it in case I jinx myself ... no jumping cursor @Sweetbay magnolia@gardenman@hennypenny@glb613@Mz iMac😀🙏.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I have spent the last two days doing word processing since the reinstall of the OS.  I am almost afraid to say it in case I jinx myself ... no jumping cursor @Sweetbay magnolia@gardenman@hennypenny@glb613@Mz iMac😀🙏.  LM

Congratulations! It sounds like that may have been the problem. Apple updates shouldn't cause trouble as only Apple hardware goes into Apple computers, so they don't have to do a ton of testing. There may have only been two hundred or so hardware combos over the recent timespan of Apple computers as compared to literally billions of possible hardware combinations for Windows machines. But, even given fewer hardware options to deal with, things slip through from time to time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Lilysmom

mbounce.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Lilysmom

mbounce.gif

@Mz iMac,  what a hoot!  That is exactly how I feel hehe.  LM