Honored Contributor

Question - we had the hard drive on hubbies Circa early 2011 Mac Book computer replaced with a 1 TB drive, but the computer itself is old and slow.

I have an 11 inch early 2014 Mac Book air.

Can the new hard drive from his computer be put into mine.

Would this work. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: I Mac hard drive question

What you can do is to first go to Apple's forums for confirmation for what you want to do.

OR

Go to the HD manufacturer website (forums & tech support) to confirm if the HD is compatible w/your MBA.

For DIY install instructions, either get the directions from the HD website and/or the iFixit website.  If adventurous, YouTube's video tutorial site.

=======

Regarding the "slowness" of the MB, make sure the RAM is maxed out.  Download Mactracker (free) from the App Store to find out how much RAM the MB can have.

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Question - we had the hard drive on hubbies Circa early 2011 Mac Book computer replaced with a 1 TB drive, but the computer itself is old and slow.

I have an 11 inch early 2014 Mac Book air.

Can the new hard drive from his computer be put into mine.

Would this work. 

You can but it won't work until you install the operating system your computer needs.  The easiest thing to do is to backup your computer, install the hard drive, format the drive then restore from that backup. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613  and @Mz iMac

Thank you it is not something I would do myslef 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.