Esteemed Contributor

Re: MacBook Pro ... Jumping Cursor

@Mz iMac, thank you!  That is exactly what I will do.  I was saying to DH on the way home that I think I should buy the Apple care.  And, yes, I will check it out before I leave the store.  

The computer has not had heavy use.  Like most people, I use my iPad more.  I started doing committee work and that was when it really started to bug me.  They told me that the computer has so many tiny parts that they would do the extensive repair since my warranty was almost up.  They said it could be a loose wire, the entire track pad, etc.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac@glb613 et al I picked up my MacBook Pro today.  I tested it out in the store and it seemed ok.  I have been working on some documents since I got home and it still seems ok.

The store was crazy busy.  I am beginning to hate that place.  It is so loud.  I attended a class for Pages the other day and I could hardly hear the presenter speak.

Anyway, back to story.  I asked if I could get Apple care.  The Apple person said yes as I was within the one year purchase period.  Her computer, however, wouldn't accept my MacBook Pro as an eligible computer.  Meanwhile, lots of noise and activity.  I had to leave as I was being picked up.  They agreed to escalate the issue with Apple Care.  Apple Care sent me an email with an acceptance link.  The bill for Apple Care was $350.  I couldn't believe the price.  I did not get it.  I left a message for them to contact me.  Highway robbery.

I have a further 90 day warranty on the changes they made to the computer so I will use this exclusively in the next 90 days.  Not a happy customer.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Call Apple Customer Relations - 1 800 275 2273.

Politely & firmly request to be transferred to Customer Relations.

Tell them exactly what you stated in your post regarding Apple Care as well as your repair issue.  If would help if you have your case # handy.  Should be on your repair receipt.  CR will check/contact the AS to confirm.

Ask for a discount.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac, are you surprised at the cost for the MacBook Pro?  I got it for my iphone.  It was $100.  I didn't know it varied by product.  I think that is way too much.  

I did the review sent to me by Apple after my class and it was far from glowing.  If I want to learn anything else, I will hop over to youtube.  I am guess the store is only going to get busier with Christmas around the corner.  

I have no intention of paying another $350 after paying $1800 for a laptop.

Apple Care is supposed to call me back.  LM

PS, I am in Canada so I'm not sure the 1800 number is good here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Mz iMac, are you surprised at the cost for the MacBook Pro?  I got it for my iphone.  It was $100.  I didn't know it varied by product.  I think that is way too much.  

I did the review sent to me by Apple after my class and it was far from glowing.  If I want to learn anything else, I will hop over to youtube.  I am guess the store is only going to get busier with Christmas around the corner.  

I wouldn't pay $350 for Apple care either.  When the hinge on my iMac broke, I did a search and found 40+ pages of complaints from people who had the same problem.  I took it into a authorized reseller/repair company in town and found out it was going to cost >$600 to fix it.  By this point, my computer was no longer under warranty or Apple Care.  I got on the phone with Apple, took my complaint up the "ladder" and got it fixed free of charge.  I  told them they knew it was a design flaw, insisted they pay for the repair and they did.  

Just like the faulty hinge, the jumping curser problem started when the computer is 4 years old long after the original warranty (or had I bought Apple Care coverage) expired.  It's why I don't buy extended warranties.  Knowing this is happening to others, I should do a search and see how common this is.  Apple is no better than other companies when it comes to admitting there is a design flaw or problem with an update.  

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I find $350 for an extended warranty to be way over the top. Apple has their true believers though who will pretty much pay anything if it has an Apple logo on it. They could sell it for $3500 and some would swear it was a bargain at ten times the price. 

I've never understood the cult-like following Apple products get. It's great marketing on the part of Apple, but their stuff is pretty much like everyone else's stuff. You just pay more for it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

I find $350 for an extended warranty to be way over the top. Apple has their true believers though who will pretty much pay anything if it has an Apple logo on it. They could sell it for $3500 and some would swear it was a bargain at ten times the price. 

I've never understood the cult-like following Apple products get. It's great marketing on the part of Apple, but their stuff is pretty much like everyone else's stuff. You just pay more for it.

I usually agree with you but not on this topic.  I've owned both and I really like Apple products over those by other companies.  I never thought I'd say this but, I do.  I also don't think I have a cult like thinking or following.  While the virus and malware hackers are starting to create malware for Macs, for the most part you don't have the threats or problems.  I also like the ease of adding and removing programs.  If you have more than one Appple device, they "talk" to each other.  I can add an event on my iPhone or a document on my computer and all devices are updated.  If this is possible with Windows based devices, it's something I don't know about.

It took me a while to "unlearn" Windows and I still think that way at times.  One example is the need to defrag the hard drive.  There are games I would love to have but, they aren't compatible with a iMac.  For the most part, I'm glad I switched.  Are Apple devices perfect, absolutely not.  But I've had longer use with the devices I currently own than I did with comparable Windows based products. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613@Mz iMac@gardenman, so here is the latest update.

I used the MacBook Pro today to work on a 7 page document.  Although it is not happening as much, the cursor is still jumping.  I wasn't sure at first, thought I clicked the wrong key.

I called Apple, explained my repair and talked about Apple Care which I have no intention of buying for $300+ .  I was not angry, simply matter of fact.  I set up an appointment for Tuesday, the earliest available.  I told the rep that I was concerned as time was running out on my warranty and that I expected them to make good on the issue despite time passage as it was identified within the warranty period.

We are good Apple customers, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Pro, 2 phones and a MacBook Pro.  I explained that I was seeking a resolution and if we were unable to arrive at one, I would deal with the issue in small claims court.  No threat, just outlined my course of action.

The rep was very good I thought.  She asked me to call back after I visited the Genius Bar.  No idea if that will translate into positive action.  We shall see.

I am serious about small claims court.  This is an $1800 computer.  Hopefully it won't get that far.

@glb613, I am like you.  I think the Apple products are better.  DH just got his first iPhone six months ago and he now gets why I keep buying Apple,

I’ll keep you posted.  LM

PS, I am looking for advice about upgrading to High Sierra but will address it in another post.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Truth be told, I've never paid retail for any of my iMacs,  MBPs or AppleCare.  I always purchase under their education discount programs.

My current iMac & Apple Care was free courtesy of Apple CUSTOMER RELATIONS.

You can purchase AppleCare for any Apple products on eBay from $50-$150.

Did you speak w/Apple Customer Relations as previously suggested?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac, I didn't realize their was a difference between Apple Support and Apple Customer Care.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I will definitely make contact.

I am a bit worried they won't experience the problem.  I was working away with no difficulty for a couple of hours until the cursor started moving.  We'll see what happens.  I'll keep you posted.  LM