Honored Contributor
On 8/8/2014 Mmsfoxxie said:

I appreciate all of the comments made regarding the imac verses the imacbook pro. It's a lot to absorb. I thought about the mini but it might be too small. I want something that I don't have to use my glasses with. With my Ipad, sometimes I have to use my glasses so I don't want anything smaller than that.I'm assuming that if I get the imac with the dvd drive, it will have to be a used one? Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

There is no reason you should need glasses with the mac mini. I think you might be confusing the mac mini with the iPad mini. The mac mini is a desktop computer not a tablet. There really isn't anything to look at other than finding the on and off switch and plugging in the cords for your monitor and possibly keyboard. The mac mini is fine if you just need basic web browsing and want an entry level machine. I owned one before. But personally I love my 27 inch iMac. I'd buy a new one and just buy an external DVD drive if you think you need one. I rarely use my DVD drive but when you need it, you need it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 8/8/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 8/8/2014 Mmsfoxxie said:

I appreciate all of the comments made regarding the imac verses the imacbook pro. It's a lot to absorb. I thought about the mini but it might be too small. I want something that I don't have to use my glasses with. With my Ipad, sometimes I have to use my glasses so I don't want anything smaller than that.I'm assuming that if I get the imac with the dvd drive, it will have to be a used one? Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

There is no reason you should need glasses with the mac mini. I think you might be confusing the mac mini with the iPad mini. The mac mini is a desktop computer not a tablet. There really isn't anything to look at other than finding the on and off switch and plugging in the cords for your monitor and possibly keyboard. The mac mini is fine if you just need basic web browsing and want an entry level machine. I owned one before. But personally I love my 27 inch iMac. I'd buy a new one and just buy an external DVD drive if you think you need one. I rarely use my DVD drive but when you need it, you need it.

jaxs, I wasn't confusing it with the iPad mini, I was thinking about the 13" Mac air thinking the print might be too small. I have the reg sized iPad which I'm using now and I have to use my readers with it so I want at least something 15" or larger. I think I'm going to get either the 15" notebook or the 21" imac with the external drive. The computer that I use the most that is getting ready to crash is a 23" Dell all in one, 3 yrs old. I like the size for reading. I also have a 15" Dell notebook, about 5 yrs old.....works sometimes. Everyone has been so helpful. Thanx.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I LOVE my Mac. There is just no comparison in my opinion. It is reliable, easy to navigate and tech support is excellent. They are always polite, patient and have taught given me so many great tips.

The reason for the calls to tech support were not because of a malfunction with my computer, but a lack of knowledge on my part.

In addition to the great product and support I received 100 hours of one-on-one training (and obviously there is more to learn).

For a person who has little to no tolerance for computer glitches, I scored with this one! They are non-existent.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor
On 8/8/2014 pommom said:

I LOVE my Mac. There is just no comparison in my opinion. It is reliable, easy to navigate and tech support is excellent. They are always polite, patient and have taught given me so many great tips.

The reason for the calls to tech support were not because of a malfunction with my computer, but a lack of knowledge on my part.

In addition to the great product and support I received 100 hours of one-on-one training (and obviously there is more to learn).

For a person who has little to no tolerance for computer glitches, I scored with this one! They are non-existent.

Is that the one on one tech support for $99 that you go to the Apple Store for. Which Mac do you have? Those add ons can add up, lol.....AppleCare, external drive, and possible upgrade to the equipment. The Apple Store is about 30 miles from me. Far, but do-able. I love my iPads....they are trouble free and I want the same reliability for my computer. They're my toys.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

mac computers have a dvd slot.

Respected Contributor
On 8/8/2014 kcladyz said:

No, they don't.

Esteemed Contributor

You're right. My daughter has a Mac computer and she just recently copied a dvd for me on it.
Honored Contributor
On 8/9/2014 glb613 said:

No, they don't.

I bought my 27 iMac in February, 2013. As glb said, it does NOT have a DVD slot.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor
Macs no longer have an optical (DVD drive). My iMac was bought in 2009 and still has one but they have since been removed. These macs are thin and there is no way to include the DVD drive and stay thin................the AppleCare is $169.00 per computer and extends the warranty to three years and includes tech support for that period. AppleCare is worth the money. I needed my fan(s) repaired and it was taken care of with absolutely no cost to me. The $99 is not AppleCare...it is one on one training for your product. New iMacs do not have DVD Drives.
Respected Contributor

My Mac is about three years old, and has a DVD slot. But DH purchased a 'huge" screen one a few months back. He just noticed last week that it has no DVD slot, because he's never had a reason to use one in the past. However, it became an issue for him when he needed to install something. I guess it's another way for them to save $$ on manufacturing, and for you and I to spend money on those parts they've left out. Not a problem for me at this time, but a pesky nuisance if I have to replace this one.