Honored Contributor
I was just about on Amazon and the positive reviews are over the top even though it has no DVD slot. You have to buy an external on which is a deal killer for me. If you have one, do you love it above other brands? If so, why do you love it?
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

As with all computers, different models have different configurations.

There are Macs available that have DVD drives.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two Macs and they both have DVD capability. The ease of use with the Mac is superior to a PC. In my experience, the PC craps out (seemingly) just when you need it (which is all the time), doesn't play well with the iPod and iTunes, and is susceptible to viruses.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

What model are you looking at? I have 2 Macs also, and they both have DVD capability.

Super Contributor
The newer iMacs do not have internal DVD drives but you can use an external. They can't get them so thin otherwise. I love my Mac and will stay with Apple products over a PC. I would rather have the DVD drive but it is not a deal breaker for me...
Respected Contributor

I was just looking on the apple website and the external cd/dvd superdrive is only $79. It's not a deal breaker IMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I each have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. We have purchased Apple products for 10-12 years. I have a PC in my office. The Apple products, imho, are superior products and more user friendly. Since we both have the newer MacBook Pros we do not have a DVD drive .... and we don't miss it at all. Also, if you do purchase a MAC computer, I would suggest going directly through Apple. And also purchase the AppleCare. which is the hardware warranty and support device offered by Apple. I have a Dell PC in my office ..... and find that it is not as good or as user friendly or as reliable a product as my MACs

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely, the extra $79 is nothing, if you want and need it. Stash it away when not needed. Absolutely, buy direct from Apple. I would recommend the track pad over the mouse if you buy an iMac. Much more intuitive and simple, and settings can be adjusted. The back lit keyboard on the MacBook Pro is fabulous, too. I did research and then ordered over the phone for my two machines, direct from Apple. So pleasant to get a few pages of black and white instructions about setting them up, so easy and simple. You are in business right away. Three years and going strong - even spilled a drink on the MacBook and it survived. My dear decrepit husband loves the iMac and he is not a computer savvy person (though he still insists on the mouse). If they still offer the rechargeable batteries for the track pad and wireless keyboard, with a charger, I would get those too, if you choose the desktop.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor
On 8/5/2014 Sweetbay magnolia said:

Absolutely, the extra $79 is nothing, if you want and need it. Absolutely, buy direct from Apple. I would recommend the track pad over the mouse if you buy an iMac. Much more intuitive and simple, and settings can be adjusted. The back lit keyboard on the MacBook Pro is fabulous, too. I did research and then ordered over the phone for my two machines, direct from Apple. So pleasant to get a few pages of black and white instructions about setting them up, so easy and simple. You are in business right away. Three years and going strong - even spilled a drink on the MacBook and it survived. My dear decrepit husband loves the iMac and he is not a computer savvy person (though he still insists on the mouse). If they still offer the rechargeable batteries for the track pad and wireless keyboard, with a charger, I would get those too, if you choose the desktop.

My macbook pro is 4 years old and it's still going strong and I'm not even tempted to look at or buy anything else! Now THAT is a first for me, as when I was a PC gal, I was always having to repair, replace or upgrade.

Esteemed Contributor

So true!!! We don't even think about a replacement! Elegant simplicity that WORKS. Had no idea that beyond the "Air" the DVD drive no longer existed internally, b/c I haven't had to think about a new one.

Cogito ergo sum