Honored Contributor

Re: Landline Technology Update

If you need a battery-backup device, search for a UPS...stands for uninterrupted power supply and those come in a variety of wattage. The one I have will provide power for my router, phone and laptop for 72 continuous running hours. The backup device automatically switches to battery mode when a power outage is detected. My phone, and router are always plugged into the backup device but the battery is not being used until the power goes out. The rest of the time the battery is being recharged in standby. It's an essential piece of electronics that everyone with a router should have.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@Love my grandkids   &.   @Mz iMac  

Thank you both so much for bringing this to my attention.  💝💝💝

I was scared out of my wits!

@cheriere 

You might want to read the article I posted above last night from CNN that says this is happening in the US.

The other info was from a UK source for what's happening in the UK but it's also happening in the US it's just going to take longer. Verizon & AT&T want to be fully operational on new infrastructure in the next 2 years. That doesn't mean all this is going to happen in 2 years. 

You can read the article & decide for yourself what's going on.

I do know people where I live who gave up their AT&T landline for the Straight Talk who hated it and tried to get their old landline service back.  They were unable to get their old AT&T landline back.  That's why this scared me.  I do fear something will happen in the future.  However, there will have to be a solution implemented with a cell tower and broadband in my particular neck of the woods before this can happen.  But, I do inevitably fear it's coming.

The reason Straight Talk didn't work for them out where I live is because the service is so poor you can't understand or hear most of what's said in a conversation. It's really bad.  The people I'm speaking of are friends of mine who just live about a mile past me.  They have the same satellite tv service and satellite internet service that the Straight Talk runs through.  They're completely out out of phone service anytime the power is out...which is a lot out here, sometimes even when after a heavy rainstorm.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere 

Do people in your area have whole-house generators, for instance Generac? 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@cheriere 

Do people in your area have whole-house generators, for instance Generac? 

A few do, but most do not.  😔

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I've had one of these also, for years. In fact I've had it so long I had to buy a new battery for it about 3 years ago. I don't know how long mine will keep everything running in case of a power outage tho.  That would be gtk.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I wish we had a whole house generator. We have a smaller one.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you need a battery-backup device, search for a UPS...stands for uninterrupted power supply and those come in a variety of wattage. The one I have will provide power for my router, phone and laptop for 72 continuous running hours. The backup device automatically switches to battery mode when a power outage is detected. My phone, and router are always plugged into the backup device but the battery is not being used until the power goes out. The rest of the time the battery is being recharged in standby. It's an essential piece of electronics that everyone with a router should have.

@SilleeMee can you share where you bought your battery backup device and the brand if you remember?

Valued Contributor

Here in the "woods" WFI is horrible and cell service is just as bad..My kids have AT&T for their cells in the city..They come here and have no service..Verizon is pretty much the same way here.

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee can you share where you bought your battery backup device and the brand if you remember?

@DJs mom 

I bought my backup device from Amazon. Brand is CyberPower. I have an earlier model of this one. It's about the size of a computer tower and weighs about 35 lbs. The only time you need to move it is when you set it up. Then after that everything stays plugged into it and is ready to go when there is a power outage. I have mine sitting on the floor under my desk near my desktop and phone. 

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD3 Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, 2 USB Ports, AVR, Mini Tower, Black

71wOpLVT6UL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Valued Contributor

Where I live (major metropolitan area), Verizon stopped supporting the copper wires to the house a few years ago.  I have Cox for cable and internet.  So, if I wanted to keep the Verizon landline (which with the copper wires would work without electricity on a corded phone), Verizon put fiber wires in place of the copper wires that are strung to the house from the telephone pole.  My house is still wired with copper inside.  Voice over IP (VoIP) is when your phone comes in via the internet connection from your ISP.  What I have now with Verizon is Fiber to the Premises (FTTP).  New box on the side of my house outside and the technician installed a battery backup box inside that takes eight D batteries.  So, if the power goes out then as long as I have working D cell batteries, my copper based landline will work.  I miss fact that the old copper would work when the power is out.  But I am glad I don't have to count on an internet connection for my vintage landline.  So VoIP is different from FTTP and if you are looking at a change make sure you check what they are talking about.  I had no desire to have all my eggs in one basket (so to speak).