Respected Contributor

Is this devise (not the HDX) as easy to read from as the Kindle Paperwhite??? Is there some, or no glare on the screen when reading outdoors. Is this item better than the Paperwhite and why? I just bought the Papewhite and want some comparison. I'm just getting into this new technology and have many questions.

TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Paperwhite and other Android tablets . I brought the Paperwhite to read in direct sunlight, and to carry around. It is light weight. I do enjoy reading on my other tablets, because you can customize the color of the text etc. My other tablets and cell phone suffers from glare in sunlight.

Respected Contributor

The Paperwhite is the best device for reading in all conditions. The HD is not good in sunlight at all. Also, some people have trouble reading for long periods on the HD as it has different lighting than the Paperwhite.

Occasional Contributor

I have both the paperwhite and the kindle fire hd.

Once I got the fire I started reading from it and left my paperwhite in my handbag for errands and such. Then I had surgery on my rotator cuff and had to rely on one arm. I went back to the paperwhite because I could hold it with one hand AND flip the pages with the thumb of the same hand. Now that I have healed somewhat I have not gone back to reading on the fire because I like the paperwhite. I use it floating in the pool, no glare, in a protective cover.

I use my fire for everything but reading. The paperwhite doesn't strain my eyes and is easier to use for reading.

Respectfully,

AmHistoryNut

Regular Contributor

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Fire HDX (had a Kindle Fire HD but upgraded). As far as glare goes, the Paperwhite is made with a matte screen which cuts down on glare. The Kindle Fire HD and HDX do not have a matte screen so there can be quite a bit of glare. The easy fix is to install an anti-glare screen protector. I recommend the Boxwave anti-glare screen protector. I find Boxwave to be superior to other anti-glare screen protectors and I find it just as easy to read on my Paperwhite as I do my Fire HDX.

Honored Contributor

My Kindle Fire HD is my constant companion, it goes everywhere with me. When I forget to put it in my bag, I feel lost all day. I never owned the Paperwhite. I can read everywhere except in bright, direct sunlight. It's fine in normal sunlight. But there's too much glare when the sun is right overhead and glaring down. There is an anti glare screen available. I'd buy one if I spent a lot of time reading outdoors...but I don't.

Super Contributor
For those of you with the Kindle Paperwhite, does it have a lag? My regular Kindle has a slight lag. It doesn't bother me a ton since I only use my regular Kindle for reading outside, just was wondering if they improved the performance. I lost my Kindle Fire when I was on vacation and think I am going to replace it with another Fire when the new ones come out in the fall.
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/21/2014 PalmTree11 said: For those of you with the Kindle Paperwhite, does it have a lag? My regular Kindle has a slight lag. It doesn't bother me a ton since I only use my regular Kindle for reading outside, just was wondering if they improved the performance. I lost my Kindle Fire when I was on vacation and think I am going to replace it with another Fire when the new ones come out in the fall.

The Kindle Paperwhite Gen 2 does not lag connected to the internet or just being used. Amazon has just released a new software update for this device.

Honored Contributor

I think tablets like the Kindle Fire or the iPad are great for using the web, watching videos, playing games, etc. I don't think they're good for reading. I have a Kindle Keyboard and a Paperwhite, as well as the Kindle app on my phone and my computer. I can read indoors with my phone, like in a waiting area, but on very sunny days, I can't even see which app I need to open without my polarized sunglasses or a non-glare screen protector. Even then, the backlight of those displays is harder on your eyes and, if you like to read before bed, can actually make it harder for you to sleep at night. I still prefer my Paperwhite for reading.

Respected Contributor

I am so happy I purchased this when I did. It was priced so reasonably ($129) that day and the next day when I checked, it was $40 more.