Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle Ereader help please.

I've had several Kindles, some with buttons, some without. I currently use a Paperwhite and a Voyage (discontinued). The Voyage has buttons on the sides, but I've found that I never use them and just tap the screen.

You can either tap the screen or swipe. The bezel on the Kindle is larger than some devices and if you add a case, it makes the bezel even larger by a bit, which makes it easier to hold without accidentally shifting my thumb over the page and flipping it.

It took me some practice to change in between my first Kindle and my first Paperwhite, but now I rarely turn the page by mistake unless I'm very tired and don't even bother with the buttons on the Voyage.

IF, however, you are left-handed, you may find the buttons easier. The touch screen has a small section on the far left side that takes you back one page and about 80% of the screen on the right and center is dedicated to moving forward one page. I bought my father a Voyage because he's left-handed.

Super Contributor

Kachina--this looks perfect! I have arthritis in my hands also---reason for reading Kindle---thank you for sharing this with me!

Honored Contributor

Also if you get a cover for your Kindle, it feel like a book, and it is easier to hold.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@pietook 

Are you sure your Gen 3 is beyond repair? My oldest Kindle died & all it needed was a new battery. I got the battery for a few bucks on eBay & it was back to life. Not sure just what went wrong with yours but there’s a lot of helpful tips on Amazon’s ereader help pages. There’s also a great community forum where i’ve gotten a lot of tips over the years. 

As for liking buttons to turn to turn the pages- I think you will get used to no buttons quickly. Just like we all got used to not physically turning the pages. Good luck!