Super Contributor

My trusty Generation 3 Kindle died and i am so sad.  I read it every night!  I have been trying to read on my Kindle Fire, but do not like the touch screen--- i like buttons to turn the pages!  I have researched and find most are touch screen now except for the new Oasis that is quite expensive!  What are your thoughts on what you like to read on?  Is the Paperwhite the "thing" now?  And, i read conflicting info if you can turn the touch off and have button page turn???  I really hate to buy an older one from Ebay----afraid it won't last long and I will be in the same shape again!  Thanks for all and any info!

Honored Contributor

Re: Kindle Ereader help please.

I really love my Paperwhite, and I never missed the buttons.  I did laugh at myself the other day when I was reading an actual book and hit the page with my finger, I've been reading on a Kindle for too long. LOL, 🤣🤣

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

My Paperwhite is about a year and I have never seen how to set it to "buttons".

The problem I did have was setting up the WiFi.  Mine will not use 5g and I had to set up 2 network names.  

If does fit in your purse and you can adjust the font when your eyes are wonky.

Super Contributor

@pietook, I have the previous generation of the Kindle Oasis and I love it! Yes, you can turn off the touchscreen off but you have to do it every time you turn it on. With the page buttons on the wider side, I don't find that much of a problem to have the touchscreen active. As a matter of fact, if you need to do anything it can be a pain to turn it on and off. The one nice thing is that the screen will turn upside down so you can use either hand to read. I read one handed all of the time. You can go to settings and adjust the buttons so the bottom button always goes forward and the top button goes back. It is expensive but I found it well worth it. If your other Kindle still turns on, you might be able to trade it in. 

Regular Contributor

Amazon had a special price for the holidays on the paperwhite so I got one. I read for hours at a time and my hands get all wonky from holding a bigger Kindle or IPad. The setup was easy, nothing to it. The price is about 130.00 now.

Super Contributor

My trusty old one just died----nothing but a blank screen, but I researched I could get $5 trade-in!  Whooppeeee!  I was in NY last week at an actual Amazon store---could have traded it in for 25%, but didn't have it with me----- I just find it hard to hold with one hand and use the other to swipe to turn pages??? maybe i am just uncorordinated???  LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

@pietookI'm able to turn the page with one hand using my paperwhite. I actually use my thumb on the hand that is holdiing the paperwhite. Usually my right hand. I had to adapt because my furbaby is usually in my lap and demands his scratches behind his ears (my left hand belongs to him). Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have what's called a Love Handle on the back to help stabilize when I'm holding it. I have them on the back of all of my devices even with a cover (not ones with a front cover).  You can get them from QVC (item #E233398),  HSN, and Amazon. They come in smaller sizes for phones and XL for bigger items. 

Honored Contributor

I have an Oasis but much prefer my Apple IPad mini for reading.  I find however that on Paperwhite or Oasis, using the touch screen to tap and turn becomes automatic within a day or two.  

I really. don't miss buttons.  I might use them sometimes but mostly just tap and turn when I read on a Kindle device.

Honored Contributor

@pietook.  I have arthritis in my hands and can't hold a tablet for long periods so years ago I discovered these holders by Lapworks on Amazon.   It's similar to this illustration but clamps to the tablet.  It makes holding the device effortless; I can go for hours and hours with no discomfort.

20200116_104534.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment