Honored Contributor

Re: Im getting a smartphone should i get the Apple 4s or the Samsung G.

I love my iPhone 4s. I've had it since they came out over two years ago & it is still in perfect condition. I've never had any problems at all with it & I had all sorts of problems with every other brand I've tried. I'll almost certainly buy another iPhone when I have to. I won't replace this one until apply no longer supports it. No reason to.

Respected Contributor

I've had the Samsung and now have iPhone 5. The Samsung is more user friendly, IMO. The iPhone is so over rated.

My DH has the Samsung 5 and loves it. The screen is larger and easy to read and the phone itself is thin.

Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I've had the Samsung and now have iPhone 5. The Samsung is more user friendly, IMO. The iPhone is so over rated.

My DH has the Samsung 5 and loves it. The screen is larger and easy to read and the phone itself is thin.

Are the Samsung 5's out or was that a typo?

Super Contributor

I have the Galaxy Note III. It is a LARGE phone/tablet (phablet). Absolutely LOVE this phone. I can see everything,use the keyboard, watch video and read news and books easily.

This is the perfect phone for older eyes. It is large, but I have no problem handling it. there are a lot of features I am still learning on it. This phone is just the best. It has made my Samsung Galaxy tablet obsolete.

Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2014 Wadzlla said:

I have the Galaxy Note III. It is a LARGE phone/tablet (phablet). Absolutely LOVE this phone. I can see everything,use the keyboard, watch video and read news and books easily.

This is the perfect phone for older eyes. It is large, but I have no problem handling it. there are a lot of features I am still learning on it. This phone is just the best. It has made my Samsung Galaxy tablet obsolete.

I'm getting mine on Tuesday. I can't wait!!!

Super Contributor

On 3/21/2014 mima said:
On 3/21/2014 Wadzlla said:

I'm getting mine on Tuesday. I can't wait!!!

I think mine is the Note II, bought when it was the "old" model, for a significant savings. Next time I will get the latest greatest, though. Life is getting shorter!

I don't see getting rid of my 10" Samsung tablet. I have the tab3 now, and look forward to the next model. Costco seems to carry them and have regular sale periods on them.

I recommend the replacement warranty. It's nice to use the thing and not worry so much about it.

Regular Contributor

I have not read thru all of the responses but my son had to have the latest greatest apple phone this past year - he was happy with it at first but he had several problems with it and when he went to resolve the issues apple does not stand behind their products. As far as the issues went I recall battery just dying, problems charging, screen broken and a few other things. He now has the samsung galaxy and says it is much much better. Not a single problem.

Honored Contributor

Pegsue, my brothers both got the iPhone 5 or 5s - not sure which, but they have both had battery problems. One had to pay $85 for a new battery, the other is about to do the same. His phone shuts down when it is still showing over 30% battery charge left.

I've read articles stating that the iPhone 4s is the best iPhone so far. I can't compare it to other iPhones since it is the only one I've had but I really like it. I also like the 3.5 inch screen. I've got small hands & I know the larger phones would not feel as natural & easy to me. Even adjusting to the size of the 4s took some doing.

A good case will protct the screen. Both my brothers had to replace their phones because they did not have good cases. neither got good protestive cases for the replacement phones & one has already broken his new one. I guess neither learned anything. I've always had an Otterbox Defender on my 4s and it is in perfect condition. There are a few other cases that protect as good or better, too.

Super Contributor

Personally, I do not trust Google (Android) and their data gathering and retention so I would not buy an Android phone like Samsung. Since I have an iPad and iPod with already purchased apps and a collection of music in iTunes I would buy an iPhone. My second choice would be a windows phone like the Nokia.
Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2014 betteb said:

If your computer is an Apple you might consider the IPhone. If you have a regular pc, the Galaxy might be a better choice.

I only have PCs and have never had an issue with my iPhone. My first computer was a Mac, bought by my dad back in the 80s, and I've got a personal (and possibly irrational) bias against Mac computers. The iPhone was the first Mac product I ever purchased myself.

If you get an iPhone, it integrates easily with the Mac computers, but mine also integrates easily with my PCs and Windows products. Mac realized quite some time ago that it was really stupid when it shut all PC products out. (I still haven't forgiven them for that, which is part of my irrational bias against their computers, which I recognize are great products.)