Valued Contributor

I just TODAY purchased an iPad Air2. I use a Macbook Pro for my laptop, which I switched to a couple years ago and I totally LOVE it. I also switched from my Droid to an iPhone which I love and they sync so well. So I decided to finally take the leap to an iPad. My question is, will it appear pretty similar to a Mac laptop on the screen? 

I'm so excited I could scream!!

Honored Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

I just TODAY purchased an iPad Air2. I use a Macbook Pro for my laptop, which I switched to a couple years ago and I totally LOVE it. I also switched from my Droid to an iPhone which I love and they sync so well. So I decided to finally take the leap to an iPad. My question is, will it appear pretty similar to a Mac laptop on the screen? 

I'm so excited I could scream!!

Congratulations on the purchase, @BriggsiePeawiggle!  The newer iOS and OS X software has been moving toward making both look similar if not identical...  with each change, they're more alike (although there always will be a few differences just because of the device requirements).  I think you'll find what you know from your Macbook Pro (and from the iPhone, too) will translate easily to the iPad.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

Thank you for that response. When I look at pictures of the iPad Air2 it looks a lot like my iPhone. I'm sure I'll figure it out. It can't be that much different from my Android (only way better...lol)

Valued Contributor

I got the iPad a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier. I TOTALLY TOTALLY love that little magical gadget. I have a droid based tablet and I found I wasn't using it much, but THIS......this is fabulous. Don't ask me why I love it so much, but I do.

Super Contributor

@QVCkitty1 I feel your pain. Learning new things, even experiencing new things can feel so overwhelming. We don't want to look like idiots to others, so we hold back. I just got 4th iPad on Thursday...and I never went to a class (I did go to a class when we bought our iMac last year and I felt so intimidated by the whole thing). With my iPad, I had experience with my iPhone but I pretty much fumbled my way and researched and read online articles and over time I became pretty proficient. And there are a TON of users on here who can help you if you get stuck.

I bought the Apple Pencil and downloaded the Procreate app. There's no real "how to" manual with the app. There's a forum you can go for help...but in my eyes, those are ARTISTS and ILLUSTRATORS and PROFESSIONALS (caps intended) and I haven't drawn anything in almost 40 years...and the idea of asking "how to" of these experts and looking the fool is just too much for my fearful heart. So I've read what I could find (not much) and then simply started playing with it. It's now my favorite app EVER!

So, reach out and ask questions...Google questions and read the answers. Play with it. Don't be afraid. Enjoy it and feel good about how much you're learning and experiencing. Have FUN! Old dogs learning new tricks are the best dogs! 😊

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Regular Contributor
I really am looking for a reader because the print in most books and newspapers is much too small. I know I could get a kindle or nook but would also love the versatility of the ipad -- i have an apple computer. is downloading books easy? i guess i also want the games etc. the pencil sounds like fun. i do need my real imac for word processing -- i love to write poetry and am still trying to start to be a writer 00 i admit i am a senior citizen but this is something i can still do. by the way this new -- for months now -- format still has me confused -- is there a solution
Super Contributor

@kingtut Downloading books on the iPad is extremely easy. For 98% of the books I download, I do so using the Kindle app. I have joined the Kindle Unlimited that Amazon has for $9.99 a month. With it, I can download and keep on my iPad up to 10 books at a time for free. Once I'm done with them, I return them and search for other books to read. It's like a lending library - but for a fee. It's opened up all kinds of genres and authors I would never had read, if I had to pay for them outright.

There are also apps that allow you to download books from your local library. You can find out what apps they use and download those.

If you end up with additional questions, just post them. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who are very good at trying to provide advice or suggestions.

Good luck to you. 😊

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Honored Contributor

TELL ME WHICH VERSION IPAD YOU HAVE AND I'll BE GLAD TO HELP. IPAD IS MUCH MORE USER FRIENDLY THAN A PC. JUST TURN IT ON. THE BOOK IS IN MORE THAN ONE LANGUAGE, SO THE ENGLISH PART IS MUCH SMALLER THAN IT SEEMS. YOU ONLY NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CHARGE AND TURN IT ON FOR STARTERS.

Honored Contributor

Once you register with Apple, by calling them, they answer questions online and by phone. They are especially helpful with new users. You can pretty much Google any question you have. Actually ask the question in the search bar and someone else will have already posted about it. They also have discussion boards on the the Apple site. Look for SUPPORT.  You will love your iPad.