Honored Contributor

Well my IPAD came this morning , and I just stare at the box. I feel so foolish, because I'm almost afraid to turn it on. I bought a book called IPAD for seniors and it is huge. I'm always able to figure things out eventually, however tech. makes me feel like a loser. I want to stream Netflix so I can see Chelsea Handler, and a lot of other things, so that will motivate me. Thanks for listening.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I bought a self help book as well.....never opened it.  So, just charge it up, turn it on, open a account and start surfing the web.  You will learn as you go. Oh there are a lot of things I still do not understand, but, I am able to shop, talk and do what I need to do. That is all that matters!

Honored Contributor

Take it out of the box, charge it and start having fun.  I've had mine 4 years and I'm still learning new things it can do.  It's pretty self-explanatory, at least the basics are.  I never read any instructions or had a manual.  Did you know that Apple Stores give iPad lessons?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As Kachina624 said, I would definitely go to the Apple store and take iPad lessons.  They're free.  You need to call the store and sign up for a certain time.  It would be worth it.  I would play with it a little bit first though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

You can certainly go to an Apple Store and take lessons if that's an option, but I think you'll be suprised at just how easy it is to figure out an iPad. 

Go for it!

Honored Contributor

Those books are very useful. If you have an Apple store near you, they may also have some free classes you can take. My mom has a friend who teaches adult education classes on how to use an iPad, iPhone, and various computers, so there may be other options as well.

Good for you for getting that book and an iPad! My mom has very limited computer experience (she couldn't even turn one on, I'm sure) and at first she hated her iPad, but now she loves it. I hope you will love yours, too.

Respected Contributor

just do as the folks said charge it up and turn it on and start using it.  When you get stuck just call someone you know who has an iPad and ask them for help, or better yet Google it. 

If you Google any question you have, there will be thousands of people who have asked the very same question.  I don't know of anybody who studied a book to learn how to use this, you simply don't need it. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your kind responses.  I live in a small town. { no apple store } , but I do have a friend who can answer my questions. I never thought of google, I will try that first because google won't roll their eyes at me LOL. I think I will wait and check out the book after I put my hands on the device. Thanks again for being kind after my mini melt down.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I sometimes find videos on YouTube that are very helpful in showing me how to do something on my iPad. 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

just do as the folks said charge it up and turn it on and start using it.  When you get stuck just call someone you know who has an iPad and ask them for help, or better yet Google it. 

If you Google any question you have, there will be thousands of people who have asked the very same question.  I don't know of anybody who studied a book to learn how to use this, you simply don't need it. 

As one who spends countless hours helping friends and family with free tech support, I'm not very keen on the "just ask a friend" as a tech support/training solution and definitely recommend books and Google over wearing out friends. Smiley Happy