Occasional Contributor

Is there any way to have word processing or spreadsheet capability on the IPAD? I would love to get rid of my desktop computer(keeps getting viruses even with Norton) Does APPLE make software comparable to MS OFFICE for IPAD? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few students who use the Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. If I really wanted Word or Excel on a tablet, I'd buy one of those instead of an iPad. I'm not aware of any comparable iPad apps. I look forward to seeing other responses.

Those using iPad type their notes in a note taking app and upload (copy/paste) in an email or school server to be transferred into Word when using a desktop.

Occasional Contributor

I have Microsoft Office on my Macbook Pro. I purchased it with the computer. I don't know if there is an APP for the IPAD. You might want to check it out or call an Apple store. Hope I have been of help

Super Contributor

Apple provides apps that are compatible with Word and Excel for free. When you set up your new iPad you will be able to download a list of free apps. The Numbers app corresponds to Excel -- the Pages app to Word.

Respected Contributor

That is the one drawback to iPads. No Microsoft products. You can use third-party software to edit your documents and store them in the cloud to share. Microsoft was supposed to have issued something for iPad, but chose to unveil the Surface instead. I have used Office Pro. It's not the same though.

There are a lot of things you can do on an iPad, but lack of Word, etc. kind of limits it for work. When Microsoft wakes up and releases a version for iPad, that would make it perfect. But it would also sound a death knell for the Surface. BTW, I am not an App-ostle (Apple product evangelist.) I also use Android and Microsoft products.

Honored Contributor

I would never want an IPad or any tablet unless I had a computer. Tablets just aren't there for real computing needs.

Honored Contributor

I haven't used an app on my iPad for word processing. I wouldn't be without my desktop iMac (no malware, by the way, though no computer is completely safe from malware). For my preference, the iPad and iPhone are wonderful adjuncts to the desktop but not complete replacements.

Some people use apps such as "OnLive Desktop" or "Documents to Go," which do allow them to edit/create/share documents for Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Perhaps we have some posters here who have used these, or know of others.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor
An iPad, or any tablet for that matter, isn't a replacement for a computer. If you purchase a tablet you will still need a computer for some things. That said, as Cha1k mentions above, the new iPads come with Pages (Mac version of word) and Numbers (Mac version of excel) for free. Personally, I would suggest replacing your computer with a Mac computer if you plan on using word excel type of applications often. New Mac computers also come with pages and numbers, but you could also purchase office for Mac software for your Mac computer. Then you would have full version of word and excel accessible from Mac. I use excel/numbers often for my job, and couldn't imagine doing many of the things I do in those programs using my iPad. I use my iPad to view some of those documents created on the computer, and make minor changes if needed. Mac computers don't generally get viruses, and no virus protection software is needed.
Honored Contributor
On 1/20/2014 Cha1k said:

Apple provides apps that are compatible with Word and Excel for free. When you set up your new iPad you will be able to download a list of free apps. The Numbers app corresponds to Excel -- the Pages app to Word.

Oops! I didn't see your post, Cha1k.Smile

I completely forgot about Pages and Numbers.{#emotions_dlg.blush} They are free to some iPad users (iOS 7 devices activated after 9/1/2013), but $9.99 for others.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
On 1/20/2014 Lynnj said: An iPad, or any tablet for that matter, isn't a replacement for a computer. If you purchase a tablet you will still need a computer for some things. That said, as Cha1k mentions above, the new iPads come with Pages (Mac version of word) and Numbers (Mac version of excel) for free. Personally, I would suggest replacing your computer with a Mac computer if you plan on using word excel type of applications often. New Mac computers also come with pages and numbers, but you could also purchase office for Mac software for your Mac computer. Then you would have full version of word and excel accessible from Mac. I use excel/numbers often for my job, and couldn't imagine doing many of the things I do in those programs using my iPad. I use my iPad to view some of those documents created on the computer, and make minor changes if needed. Mac computers don't generally get viruses, and no virus protection software is needed.

As usual, excellent advice Lynnj.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I agree completely.