Honored Contributor

@glb613 , well fudge.  DH likes to watch a particular sport channel that will not be offered on our new line up so I guess he will not be able to watch the game.

Then, the biggest perk of the ROKU is to have TV in a room with out renting the set top boxes we now have to have to view programming.

The other option is to purchase SLING, HULU, etc to get other programming, correct?   Thru Sling, HULU, etc. he might possibly be able to subscribe to his sports channel.

Honored Contributor

@misschristy ...I agree, I really thought I knew what I was doing, ha, ha!!

But all my questions have been answered and I really appreciate it.  

Trusted Contributor

Sorry - I had to get dinner off the stove and didn't finish.  There is a free QVC app that you can get for Roku.  Type QVC in the search on the Roku.  It will ask if you want to install it.

You can find other free apps by doing a search on Roku.   

Respected Contributor

I just bought a Roku stick also. Dish and HBO have had a dispute since November so I purchased a subscription to HBO Now in January. I have been watching HBO on my Ipad since my smart tv was not accessible to HBO Now. Game of Thrones is starting April 14 so I bought the Roku so I can watch GOT on my big screen. It was easy to install. I will still be using my Dish lineup most of the time. I toggle from Dish to Roku using my TV remote to tell the system whether I am on HDMI 1 or HDMI 2. So many things to figure out...

Honored Contributor

Not sure now if we will keep the ROKU, grrr.  I called cable to try and lower the bill, they refuse.....my dh is not wild about just using streaming services....we would need a couple to be able to watch what  we like.

Our bill went up $20.00 the first of the year, so now we pay $185.00/month.  We watch about 16 channels, that was why I thought we could use a streaming service and still watch what we want.

I did mention cancelling our subscription, they really didn't care!!

Honored Contributor

Hey @Mom2Dogs 

Have you given any thought  to Satellite? We have no access  to cable and have used both DirecTV and now have had Dish Network for many years. None of our choices are exactly what we would like, but we are happy with what we are getting from Dish Network.

Not sure exactly what ours costs, but we have added several Premium channels to their packages. I added all the Sports Networks and each season I order the Hockey Center Ice Package. My total entertainment(other than my love my ice skating days) is pretty much centered around what I record on our DVR, called the Hopper 3 and Joey by Dish Network.

Hope you find something that works good, or fairly good, to enjoy watching on TV. Hope you are having a good weekend. I am, will be going skating later in the afternoon.

ETA: I am now looking at our monthly bill and it's total is $139.22

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs- what sports channel does your husband want?

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal  Sports Time Ohio is what he watches, spring/summer only.  He likes baseball. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut , your monthly rate is great!  Satelline is not great in our area. We had it at one time and the reception was spotty.

Enjoy your skating today!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@qbetzforreal  Sports Time Ohio is what he watches, spring/summer only.  He likes baseball. 

Oh, Fox Sports