Honored Contributor

you do need fast internet for the Roku or the other possibility

while not the prettiest is just to connect the 2 with a long ethernet cable 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman , thank you for the explanation.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear , that would be impossible, router is downstairs on the 'main' tv the ROKU is upstairs in the spare room.

Honored Contributor

We will probably purchase a new router...currently we rent one from the cable company, which we did because we were not sure we would stick with the company but we did stay with them so, time to purchase our own.

The one from the cable company is an ARRIS...they will not tell us which product to purchase...they suggested to purchase locally, customer service told me that the office store will give us a recommendation.

Then the next thing will be is it difficult to install, I would guess it's not just connect and it works...that concept never works for me!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Do your own research.  You own a Mac.  Start off by Googling "best routers for Macs.

Read the reviews of all you are interested in.  Pay particular attention to......

ease of use

customer/technical support based in the US

*NOTE*  Apple is out of the Airport business as of 2018.  Some 3rd party resellers still sell them while supplies last.

There are 3 types left at the online Apple Store.

Before purchasing a router, you need to FIRST confirm w/your ISP that your slow internet speed that you posted is NOT their fault and/or it is what you are paying for.

You should also test your internet speed again but this time through the Speed Test website.  There is also a free app at the Apple Store.

Good luck w/whatever you decide to do. grouphug.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac ...I called the cable company, and yes, you were correct - my speed is crawling...I can upgrade to 100 mbps....which we are going to do and also revamp our cable package, which will cost me less per month.....which leads to another question...

If for instance our NEW CABLE PACKAGE DOES NOT include lets's say HGTV BUT I want to watch HGTV, can I still watch it thru the ROKU?

Once we get the new cable package figured out and I know the ROKU will work for us I will investigate a new router...thanks for the tips @Mz iMac.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I purchased and installed/set up the ROKU in our spare bedroom, upstairs....it's slow and when reading thru older posts, I will call about my router, maybe it's old and needs to be replaced

but....I tried to find QVC...so far no luck, I thought the logo woud just appear on screen like other logos did but I went thru everything...I don't see it.  Is there another way I am supposed to  to access the channel?

I did find the ID Channel, it came in OK, I tried accessing Hoarders but when I clicked on the logo.....nothing....if the router is the issue I understand that show not loading but, what about QVC?  Is there a way to access the channel than I do not know about?

Thank you.....I find it very frustrating when I don't understand what I am doing...or it does not work as expected.

@Mom2Dogs just curious which model did you get? I was thinking of getting the Roku Streaming Stick + which sells for $49.99 at Amazon. It has a microphone you can talk into which can bring up content you want.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mz iMac ...I called the cable company, and yes, you were correct - my speed is crawling...I can upgrade to 100 mbps....which we are going to do and also revamp our cable package, which will cost me less per month.....which leads to another question...

If for instance our NEW CABLE PACKAGE DOES NOT include lets's say HGTV BUT I want to watch HGTV, can I still watch it thru the ROKU?

Once we get the new cable package figured out and I know the ROKU will work for us I will investigate a new router...thanks for the tips @Mz iMac.

If you pay for it. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  We also paid $49.99 at Best Buy....green box ROKU Streaming Stick.  It also has voice remote.   Have not got to the voice remote yet...still figuring out the basics.

Trusted Contributor

Some of this is very complicated.  For instance, Comcast and ID are having a pricing battle and we lost ID on our regular lineup.  It is blocked from me on the Roku.  It depends on your provider.  I can get QVC2.  Not sure about QVC, as I have it on my regular cable and didn't look.  I'm pleased with it.  You might want to try downloading Philo to your Roku, as there are some interesting things on it.