Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

it worked...I think I will need to update the router....loading seems slow to me, no buffering, just slow, thanks!

@Mom2Dogs  

Or check on the quality of your ISP (internet service provider).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  download speed is 36.9....is that adequate for the ROKU....I am testing the device by watching a show - it has 'loaded' several times in the last 30 minutes.

Honored Contributor

Re: I purchased a ROKU

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

Download speed 36.9 what?

Did you use the ROKU built in speed test, website or an app?

*edited*

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac    I went to my internet provider and ran the test via my Mac Book Air....

Honored Contributor

My router is not old but I find there's a big difference between the speed with which my living room (close to router) Firestick and Roku load as compared to the one in the bedroom about 30ft away.  You can buy boosters but i dont have a place to put one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

There should be some letters after the numbers. 

FWIW.....

My download speed - 108.80mbps = very fast

Now if yours is actually 39.6mbps, your internet is "crawling."  You either need to upgrade your internet service or there is a throttle issue w/your ISP.  Strongly suggest that you give them a call to find out what is going on.  Hopefully, you only need to ugrade to a faster internet package.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Regarding your bedroom......

Generally walls like this are made of more substantial material; brick, stone or concrete. This can dramatically affect the radio signals between your router and Wi-Fi device, and can cause slow or intermittent connection problems.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac .....I will have to call the company about the speed.  We have not upgraded since we switched to this cable company 3-4 years ago, and I cannot recall what I was quoted as far as the speed goes.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Honored Contributor

You may find the speed of the Roku improving the more you use it. Some routers have gotten very smart and prioritize the devices that get the most use. When something new gets added it might look back and say, "This hasn't been used in the last six months and now it wants Internet access? Okay, I'll give it a little, but I'm saving most of my resources for the things that use it the most."

I have a rarely used Firestick in my bedroom that when I go to use it (maybe once every three weeks or so) it goes so slow that sometimes it'll even deny there's a connection at all. (And it's about six feet from the router, so that 's not an issue.) If I use it three or four days in a row, it's suddenly very peppy and fast again. Some modern routers are quite clever and assume you'll be wanting Internet access for devices you use frequently and will throttle back things you don't use frequently so there's more speed for the things you use regularly.

Before you make any big changes (buying a new router, upgrading your service) give it a few days of use and see if it doesn't pick up speed as your existing router learns you're using it a lot and starts allocating more resources to it. A lot of people go out and buy a new router and say, "That fixed my problem!" In reality the new router just didn't have a lot of experience in what you use the most, so it gave equal access to everything until it could figure out what you used the most. Use that new router for a year or two and then add a new device and that new device will likely crawl for a while until the router adapts to the new usage pattern. Give it a few days of use and see if it doesn't pick up speed without you doing anything. I'm betting it probably will.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mz iMac .....I will have to call the company about the speed.  We have not upgraded since we switched to this cable company 3-4 years ago, and I cannot recall what I was quoted as far as the speed goes.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

I replaced my wireless router a year ago and the increased in speed and capacity was what I needed.  If I was downloading on my notebook computer, everything else using the Wifi signal came to a complete stop.   Now I not only have faster Wifi, downloading doesn't slow down anything.  Do yourself a big favor and replace your router.  They are inexpensive if you think about how much they are used on a daily basis.  You also won't be renting from the cable company which is a complete waste of money. 

I find it much easier to load channesl on the streaming devices I have by going to the website on my computer.  It's not uncommon to need to prove you have a cable subscription to add channels, like A&E or DIY, to your choices on a streaming device. 

Bottom line, your Roku shouldn't be slow.  If it is, it's your router.