Honored Contributor

I am new to the Iphone.  I'll try to make this easy to understand....

I have a MacBook air that I use gmail for business, all my business contacts are on the MacBook air as well as personal contacts.

When I paired my Iphone all the gmail contacts were added to the phone.  I do not want any of my business contacts on the phone.  I am using the phone for texting and or emailing with a few friends/family and surfing the net and anything else NOT related to my business.

Can I pick and choose what contacts I want on the phone and what I want on the MacBook?

I have looked under settings but do see a solution.

thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Phone question

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  I have my IPad synced with my IPhone. I can't choose which contacts I want for each device. It's all or nothing for both.

Because my 2 devices are linked I also can send & receive texts from my IPad even though I don't have a data plan on it.The same is true for phone calls.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   That is what I was afraid of.  I have not synced to my car yet...but I guess ALL THOSE contacts in my gmail will also go to the car...ugh.

My old phone was a phone so I did not have this issue.

The texts I am getting are also going to my MacBook air...two of the three people that I group text with have Iphones the other has an androind...it's just odd because some texts are bouced back as underliverable to my MacBook Air.

thanks

Honored Contributor

If your iPhone is new, you are still under warranty.  Call Apple customer service or AppleCare (if you have it).  Take full advantage of Apple's warranty & Apple Care.

Put your question in a search engine.  Make sure you type iPhone instead of phone. 

Select the "topic" "How to delete contacts on iPhone or Mac/AppleInsider."

Search Apple's Knowledgebase, Apple's YouTube Troubleshooting tutorials.

Post in Apple's iPhone forum.  You may need to adjust your question like how to customize/pick & choose transferring contacts from iPHone to Mac.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

If an Apple Store is close by, schedule an appointment with the "Genius Bar." (Scheduling is done for your specific store by using their online appointment book.) Take your affected devices iPhone, laptop, iPad, etc with you. Tell them what you want and don't want. Usually they can do some magic and make everything function just as you want.

Honored Contributor

@On It   @Mz iMac 

The phone is new so I do have some free support, and there is a genius bar about an hour from me.  I'll start making a list of my questions so that I get as much answered as possible in one visit.

Several things I needed help with I was able to do a search and figured out what I wanted to know..other things the words seemed like jibberish and the instructions made no sense.

thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I am right there with you. We moved to a smaller city without an Apple Store and a Container Store. I have regretted that decision on frequent occasions.

The people giving advice online assume we know stuff about technology. I know very, very little. Since your phone is so new a call to Apple support might work. I have had successful calls and some not so successful. When I meet with the genius guys, they can tell in about 5 seconds I need major help.

I hope you get everything resolved easily.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs @When you text among people with Apple devices you are probably using iMessage which allows Apple device owners to interface with each other.  The ones getting bounced back are probably android users or Apple users who don't have iMessages turned on.  See Settings, Messages.  You can toggle iMessages on or off.  It is a messaging system for Apple platforms.  iMessages are blue, text messages are green.  LM