Super Contributor

Have you noticed the volume of television commercials is louder than the program you are watching? This makes me crazy! My old tv seemed to  automatically modulate the sound so this didnt happen.

Depending on the network or video stream, it also happens with the backgrouhd music. My DH turns up the volume to better hear the dialogue, but then the background music makes it difficult for him to hear the dialogue. Is there something we are missing here? An audio adjustment of some sort?

Honored Contributor

This has been going on for years.  And yes some of the older TVs had the auto volume adjust.  There was such an outcry from the public that congress outlawed commercials from raising the volume.  It was good for a while, but I have noticed its starting back up again.  I have a major hearing problem and background noise and music on the TV is a real problem for me.  I lose half the dialog.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Not only on TV, but having just completed about 1,000 miles in the car last week, I also noticed lots of the radio stations also amp up commercial volume.

On a related issue, I heard yesterday that some cable channels are devoting more minutes per hour to commercials.  Works for me -  commercials are  my QVC time!

Honored Contributor

It's been that way since we got our first TV in 1948

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

It's been that way for a long time as far as I know. I just turn the volume down or better yet, change the channel.Geez, I remember when I was the "remote" and we actually had to get up to do both. Good thing we only had 3 channels back then.

Respected Contributor

Yes. I do not know if it is just locally, but it seems the same program can sometimes play the same  commercial 3 + times !

James Earl Jones for Arby's. Man --he loves bacon and shouts about it! 

Honored Contributor

I have to dive for the remote to lower the volume every time I turn HSN on.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09 

There is an audio adjustment available on most televisions. 

If you google the make and model of your television you will be able to adjust the settings with your original television remote. 

You could also call Customer Service for your television brand and have them walk you through it.

Honored Contributor

There are certain vendors and hosts who seem to sound louder than others. Not sure if that is because of their mics or what but I always have to turn it down when they come on air. 

Honored Contributor

Am i the only one that needs to use my CC  to read what is being said on some shows??

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."