Trusted Contributor

Re: Google chrome critical update pop up -- ? For techies

@Toppers3 -- thanks but I had the real google chrome. From researching this pop up I found that it's been around causing trouble since last July. 

Honored Contributor

Modern operating systems are so secure these days that malware writers now have to rely on tricking users into installing their malware. They do this through either "clickbait" or pop ups that lead you astray. As long as you close it out quickly and a scan is clean, you should be fine.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman -- Thanks for the reassurance.

Regular Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

This happened to me and Google Chrome actually blocked it. I took a screenshot and I see this happened to me on July 31 of last year. It was a bit unsettling when this happened to me back then (I'm sure) and knowing me I researched it to death (I just don't recall specifics) but I checked the latest edition of Chrome (by clicking on those three dots and then "about") which said let me know that my browser was up to date. 

You are right that anytime you get a popup of any sorts, do not click on it. I know whatever Google needs updated it's always done automatically and in the background (most likely not even knowing it). 

I also went back and restore my computer to the last "restore" point. Also, I use a "standard" account, thus, anytime a program wants to automatically download something I get a prompt where I have to "ok" it and another prompt where I have to sign in with a password (administrative account). 

Is this the popup you got (see pic)?2016-07-31 (6)_LI.jpg2016-07-31 (5).png

Trusted Contributor

@Runner26 wrote:

@akaburtonfan wrote:

This happened to me and Google Chrome actually blocked it. I took a screenshot and I see this happened to me on July 31 of last year. It was a bit unsettling when this happened to me back then (I'm sure) and knowing me I researched it to death (I just don't recall specifics) but I checked the latest edition of Chrome (by clicking on those three dots and then "about") which said let me know that my browser was up to date. 

You are right that anytime you get a popup of any sorts, do not click on it. I know whatever Google needs updated it's always done automatically and in the background (most likely not even knowing it). 

I also went back and restore my computer to the last "restore" point. Also, I use a "standard" account, thus, anytime a program wants to automatically download something I get a prompt where I have to "ok" it and another prompt where I have to sign in with a password (administrative account). 

Is this the popup you got (see pic)?2016-07-31 (6)_LI.jpg2016-07-31 (5).png

Yep it looked just like that from what I recall. I closed it so fast I didn't really study it. I just knew that I'd never seen an update notice like that before. I learned a long time ago not to get suckered in to clicking on pop ups.

Dnot run or click any link or popup message that is trying to trick you about Chrome updates.  This is always some virus/malware trying to infect your computer.

Chrome never prompts you about updating, but will simply automatically download and install any available Chrome updates directly from Google servers.
Esteemed Contributor

@akaburtonfan, thanks for posting!  I have a computer that I don't use often.  Turned it on yesterday and there it was.  I almost clicked 😫!  LM