Valued Contributor

This question is regarding DiskCleanup on Windows 10.  I ran a disk cleanup and it said my temporary files were 592MB on the top I can clear and in the checked temporary files box it says 581MB.  It says under the larger box that I can gain 0 space.  My question is which boxes should be checked in the larger box.  I read I can check all but 2 but don't want to take out something I shouldn't.  I'm wondering if my disk cleanup is working.  The cleaning runs but doesn't seem to gain any space.  This is all new to me on windows 10.

Honored Contributor

Re: DISK CLEANUP

[ Edited ]

After it goes through the initial scan, make sure you hit the Clean up system files button, not the OK button. I have checks in all of the boxes at this point.  After the clean up is finished then 'The total amount of space you will gain:' appears. Leave blank the 'Previous Windows installation(s)' box, check all others at this point  and hit  OK. The final window 'Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?' opens then hit Delete Files button.

ETA - If anything critical is going to be deleted there is usually a window that pops open to ask if you really want to delete the important file(s). It's a second chance for you to take another look at it before it gets deleted.

Valued Contributor

Thanks I think I did it right.