Honored Contributor

Re: Copyright violation - sheet music?

Copyright can still be violated despite not having an intention to sell.  Only the damages assessed would be affected should a case arise.

The "intent to sell" is a common misconception surrounding copyright.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

I am a musician and sort of know a bit about this. You can copy it IF you have purchased it and are waiting for it to arrive. Once it arrives, you are to rip up the copied music and trash it. As a musician who also composes a bit, I am very careful about this. 

That's something new (to me) and interesting that I've never heard of. I purchase a lot of music and print it out on my computer but there's nothing that "arrives." I'm presuming you mean through the mail. I've bought material from publisher's sites that comes through the mail but in those cases there's nothing to print. I also look for music that's offered at no cost from online sites and print those sheets out as well.

Anyway, as I said, this print now and destroy later method is new to me but I always like learning about something new. I'm not sure I'll ever need to use it but it's still nice to know it exists. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@raleighroo wrote:

I still find sheet music for sale at The Guitar Center.  I'm sure there are other B&M stores too. 

Sure, lots of places still sell sheet music. There's a great place in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd called Old Town music plus Keyboard Concepts has lots of locations. Then there's all the mom and pop music shops around SoCal. I imagine other places are the same.

I know a teacher who supplies all her students with material she keeps in a huge, sort of walk in closet. She must have hundreds, if not thousands, of different books and sheet music. It's like being a kid in a candy shop...as good as any music store I've ever been to! 

The nice thing about sites where you can print out the sheets on your printer are that they're instant gratification. Thinking of song you want to play? Just print it out. Not quite as fun as a trip to the music store but much easier. You can buy what you want and have it (almost) instantly all while relaxing at home and sipping a cocktail in your pjs.

Not that I'd ever do a thing like that, lol! Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Very Happy

Frequent Contributor

I know a teacher who supplies all her students with material she keeps in a huge, sort of walk in closet. She must have hundreds, if not thousands, of different books and sheet music. It's like being a kid in a candy shop...as good as any music store I've ever been to! 

That sounds like sooo much fun SusieQ!  Wish I knew of a place like that here in Florida.

Years ago I tried out MusicNotes and it was a pretty buggy site at that time.  Maybe I will check them out again.  ThanksWoman Happy

It's Always Your Favorite Sins...that do you in
Kenny Chesney/Grace Potter
Valued Contributor

Yes, I'm referring to buying stuff that comes in the mail. I may have a copy, but a student does not but ordered it. Comes to lesson and still hasn't gotten it, so I make a copy for them to use until their music comes. That is allowed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle, your post makes total sense to me now. Thanks for clarifying! Smiley Happy