Honored Contributor

Re: Computer help removing Microsoft password to access computer

@glb613 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:
Thanks. Long story... but I wanted it easy and have no idea even how the password got selected. I had IT person set me up. Microsoft used my maiden name. I have no clue how the password got there. In any case thanks

This is a perfect example why people should set up their own computers.  There is no reason to pay someone to do it for you.  Plus, you can decide what features you want and select the passwords you want. 

In a perfect world, that's true.  But there are many people who simply are not confident enough to do it and there's nothing wrong with having someone else do the work.  (It's no different from hiring a plumber, electrician, mechanic - to do work you either don't want to do or aren't qualified to do.)

You just need to be sure you ask all the important questions at the time or ensure that your set-up also includes at least a minimum of "after care".

Hopefully, the OP will get answers to her questions here.  After all, I've gleaned a lot of helpful information from these forums over the years.

It's not difficult to do and is not in the same category as installing a toilet.  It's easy because the operating system walks you through the process.  Everyone I know who had someone else set up their computer, router, phone, TV, or other device is lost when something goes wrong.   I can guarantee you, they don't ask for passwords or other information needed if you want to fix or change anything. 

I disagree respectfully.  You may think it's not difficult and to someone familiar with computers, it's not.  But during a career in I.T. I saw even "experienced" people make a mess of things and have no idea how to sort them out.

We can simply agree to disagree; not everyone is happy with computer technology whether we think it should be "simple" or not.

I do agree though it's better to do your own set-up, if possible, so that you become familiar with your own computer and how it works.

(And...LOL...it's not that difficult to install a toilet!  Easier than setting up a new computer, as long as you follow the instructions.)  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I don't know if @bonnielu resolved her problem yet, but I googled "How to remove password from Windows 10 sleep mode" and this is the YouTube video I got. Since I don't have Win10, I don't know if this works or is even applicable to the OP's issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYAAE343lQo

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:
New computer....Windows 10... I purchased it from a computer tech who I have known for years. One day in and thousands of dollars later he would not help me. Computer went into sleep mode and then to access it I was asked for my Microsoft password to get in. Fortunately I figured it out. I NEED TO REMOVE THIS REQUEST AND LOOKS LIKE I AM ON MY OWN. Rather than lashing out at him I would like to move on and solve my problem. I am on the hunt for new tech support but right now I just want to DO IT MYSELF. I am computer literate but not advanced 😊 Any help would be appreciated.

There is a setting that requires a password at startup.  You need to get into your user account and remove it. 

user accounts

If this isn't the password request at start up you have, post back. 

@glb613

Thanks for this info.  I disabled mine.  It doesn't bother me to have it, but since there's an option to disable, it makes me happy Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I live alone and my laptop doesn't travel outside my front door, so I don't really need password protection.

I don't save anything on it but music.  Everything else is in the cloud.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

1 - Open "Settings"

2 - Go to "Accounts"

3 - Click the Sign-in options on the left. On the right, there is an option named Require sign-in. Change the value to Never.  (It may say "When my PC wakes up from sleep" or something like that)

I have my desktop set up to never require a password at all. My laptop, however, does still require me to sign on when Windows 10 first starts. 

I hope that helps you. 

Honored Contributor

I think some people are getting 'Microsoft password' confused with 'Windows password'.