Trusted Contributor

Can you have too many wireless things so connection to internet doesn't always work?

We had problems with losing the connection to the tv, so someone came out and put in a new modem. Then the wireless Echo, Dot, laptop and Kindle Fire only work sometimes. So the tech came back, put in another modem. Came back no fix. Called 
AT&T and they had me reset the 2.4 ghz and add 5ghz. Still same problem. A different tech came again today and he said I have too many wiresless objects. Is this just a copout because they can't fix my problem? Sometimes it would take 45 min. of reloading, refreshing, rebooting and then I can get qvc.com. Same with other devices. Says it is connected, but the websites say no internet connection. I am about ready to switch to Spectrum.  Very frustrated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can you have too many wireless things so connection to internet doesn't always work?

The short answer is yes, there can be too many devices in use on a wireless connection at the same time, but if they are not being used at the same time, then it shouldn't affect things, I don't believe - but it would all have to do with amount of data used, as well.

Example is if you are on the internet, two of your kids are on the internet - one on a laptop gaming, the other one on the Fire, and someone else is streaming a movie, all at the same time, then yes you might have too many devices to run them all - in the sense of both bandwidth and speed, or one device knocking the other off - depending on what is or isn't included in your internet plan. I.e. exactly the provisions of what your monthly fee is paying for.

But if you're online and somebody's using the Echo to stream music and nothing else is in use, then all of that shouldn't apply. 

So - yesit's possible, and/but it depends on a lot of things.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Can you have too many wireless things so connection to internet doesn't always work?

[ Edited ]

I agree and had the same situation.  I was updating my notebook computer's operating system and was unable to connect using my phone.  Apparently the downloading data for the update was taking all of the bandwidth.  Once the download was complete, the phone connected.

Honored Contributor

Can you have too many wireless things connected? Yes. Home routers are theoretically limited to around 250 (or so) online wireless connections. Many manufacturers impose more severe limits on the number of devices that can be attached due to overheating issues. The more devices you have connected at one time, the more heat is generated and heat and modern electronics are a bad combination. To extend the life of the router/gateway, the manufacturer/supplier will often impose a limit on the number of devices that can be connected. I've seen numbers as low as seven devices and as high as the twenties on restricted devices.

You can find stories of people using hundreds of devices on makeshift networks using unrestricted devices where the router becomes too hot to touch and in many cases burns out quickly. People hosting a big wedding, family reunion, or similar event in their home where they give everyone access to their wifi, will often find their router burning out quickly if there's unlimited access.

When you're using a "rental" gateway from a cable company, they'll typically impose a limit far below the 250+ possible connections so their gateway doesn't overheat and burn out too quickly. If you're renting it for $10 a month and you've got so many devices using it that you're burning out the $300 gateway every couple of months, it's a bad situation for the cable company. They don't want you giving out your wifi to all of your neighbors also.

In a typical four person household with each family member with a smartphone, a wireless printer or two, streaming devices, laptops, smart TV's, smart appliances, networked surveillance cameras, and more, you can pretty quickly get to the limit on the number of wireless devices allowed on that router. A lot of people don't realize that even when the device is turned off, it might still have connection to the wireless network to update itself in the background.

Before changing cable companies and dealing with whatever Early Termination Fee they impose, you'll want to check and be sure the other company's gateway/router isn't even more restricted. Getting that information may be like pulling teeth as it's not something the typical CSR has access to, and even their techs may not be sure, but you could go from a bad situaton to a worse one. 

What are your options? You might be able plug a second router (likely one you'd have to buy on your own) into an ethernet port on the cable gateway to expand the total number of access points. That might work. You could also disconnect some devices from your network when you're not using them. (Just turning them off doesn't always disconnect them.) Under wifi settings you can typically force a disconnect which should then free up that port on the gateway/router for another device.

I've got two tablets, my smartphone, my Kindle Fire Stick, my Echo, my wireless printer, my Nintendo Wii and my Nintendo Wii U all on my wireless network with no trouble. I've also got my desktop, a thin client (mini-computer) and a blu-ray player connected by ethernet cables. And this is just me. In a multi-person house the number of connected devices would increase substantially. You're going to hear more and more people having this issue as more and more wireless devices proliferate, You're on the leading edge of what's going to be a very big problem in the very near future. Cable companies will be forced to expand the number of devices they allow to connect, but they'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming to do it. Every extra bit of heat they add to their gateway takes a little more life from it and they really don't want to shorten the life of their gateways.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Short answer, yes you can have too many devices sharing your bandwidth to the point that it slows them down. Up your data plan, if it includes an increase in bandwidth. Having said that, for more than 10 years we've had three computers running MMORPGs at the same time along with other devices and it's never been an issue. I used the same modem, which I owned for at least 15 years. Your list doesn't seem to imply high bandwidth consumption though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Have you considered changing the channel on your router/gateway? Part of the problem could have to do with interference from neighboring networks on the same channel you are using.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Gardenman, a device can't connect to anything when it's turned off. 

Honored Contributor

I had a problem with my wireless printer losing its wifi conection ... annoying.  So - I changed to a USB cable connection to solve that problem.

Other than that .... my router is working fine ... all the other wireless stuff works.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

My Wii U stays connected even though it's turned off. It'll download game samples, updates, news bulletins and more while turned off. Right this minute the blue notification light is flashing indicating there's a new message from Nintendo waiting for me. 

This isn't all that unusual. More and more times the power switch doesn't totally turn off a device, but we simply reduces the power it's using and leaves it connected to the network. It's only through unplugging a device that you can be sure it's really off the network. People want their devices ready to use as quickly as possible, so more and more manufacturers are leaving devices in a standby mode rather than totally off.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

My Wii U stays connected even though it's turned off. It'll download game samples, updates, news bulletins and more while turned off. Right this minute the blue notification light is flashing indicating there's a new message from Nintendo waiting for me. 

This isn't all that unusual. More and more times the power switch doesn't totally turn off a device, but we simply reduces the power it's using and leaves it connected to the network. It's only through unplugging a device that you can be sure it's really off the network. People want their devices ready to use as quickly as possible, so more and more manufacturers are leaving devices in a standby mode rather than totally off.

I still disagree.  No device can connect to the internet when it's off.  If it's hibernating or on standby, then yes.  There is a setting called wake on lan where a device, usually computers, can be turned on by a signal from the internet.  But it's the incoming internet signal that turns it on not the other way around.