Esteemed Contributor

Re: Comcast Increased My Internet Speed

The company increased your service to help all the students working at home.
They will upgrade the speed and down the road we all pay more.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shepherd wrote:

A fan of Comcast? The lowest of the low? I have them, for many years & hate their customer service. Hate! The worst, Bottom of the barrel in my experience. Hate Comcast!!!

@Shepherd 

Lol.  I'm with you on this one.  Is there a word stronger than "infuriating?"  "Hate" will do.  They are so bad, I must rest up a week before I call.  I need all the energy I can get to fight them.

Here's one example of quite a few during 22 years of using this company.  I asked a manager..."Do you know Comcast has consistently been voted the worst company in the U.S. for customer service?"  He didn't answer, of course.  It was only after I asked to be transferred to the "Come get your boxes, I'm going to Verizon" department did he come around and finally admit it was THEIR ERROR and fix the problem.

The worst!!!

I'm very close to switching to Verizon, but I hear from others it's bad too.  It's like jumping from one fire into another.  

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

The email I got from Comcast regarding the faster speed said, in so many words, they are responding to the pandemic by providing a faster connection to help stay connected to friends and family. No mention of students.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

The email I got from Comcast regarding the faster speed said, in so many words, they are responding to the pandemic by providing a faster connection to help stay connected to friends and family. No mention of students.

@SilleeMee 

There are many families who do not have internet service in their homes. These families can receive free or low cost service. 

Schools are giving students packets of work to complete, and some assignments need web access, and in some districts students are taking home their Chromebooks? 

There are many different teaching styles being used during this pandemic.

LOL, Comcast is serving themselves. I am sure they will get something for giving away free or low cost internet service. I have see the user fees and equipment charges increase in the last two years.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg 

I'm on the Comcast Internet Essentials Program. I signed up for it after I saw it mentioned here on this forum a few months ago. I was under the impression that the program was for low income families, which I don't consider myself to be in that category but my application for it went through anyway. I'm not complaining, not one bit. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I used to be a fan of Comcast, but no more. My old deal expired in November and I called them in October to see if they'd give me a new deal. They said no. I started exploring other options and discovered Verizon's FIOS internet was now available here, but not FIOS TV. I looked into streaming services and signed up for Sling Blue and Orange to try it out. In early January I decided the Sling package was better for me than what Comcast offered so I took my cable box to their nearest store (30+ miles from me) and turned it in and canceled my cable service.  I was then told the absolute best price they could give me on internet alone at 100 Mbps was $79.95 a month. 

I knew Verizon could give me that speed internet and include Disney+ for a year at $56 a month, so when I got home I called Verizon and set that up. On January 27th Verizon installed the new Internet and I called Comcast to cancel my last remaining service with them which was the internet. I was told I'd be getting a refund of $13+ for the amount I'd prepaid and there was nothing else I needed to do. The person I talked to was disappointed I was leaving and now insisted they could have beaten the deal I had with Verizon, but it was too little too late.

On February 22nd, Comcast stole $77.95 from my bank account for my March payment for a service (internet) I no longer had. Since then they've lied to me consistently and keep stalling on returning my money that they stole. They insist now that I'll have it by March 28th, over a full month after they stole it. I'm not at all happy with them. They knew I was no longer a customer but they stole the $77.95 from me anyway, apparently hoping I wouldn't notice. I noticed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  A lot of companies are doing kind things. More are offering big discounts and/or free shipping. QVC...NOTHING!! Says  a lot about them. Smiley Sad

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

This is something I'm surprised they didn't do a long time ago.  I'm with Charter/Spectrum and they increased our internet speed to well over 100mbps nearly two years ago.   No additional charge, which is good as we pay enough already!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With the entire world being inside their homes, the internet is experiencing an unusually large load. Tech people are warning streaming companies to drop their load by going with standard resolution. High def is putting a big strain on the internet and experts are concerned about crashing. 

Internet providers are counteracting the heavy load by boosting speeds with hopes it will curtail a crash. This is not the time for anyone's internet to go down!

Super Contributor

Comcast is greedy, they gave me a package with premium channels, then they started taking them away, Starz, Cinemax and even TMC.  They are not losing money during this crisis, I notice they are advertising paying for a tv show before it airs.  Anything to make a buck,  No choices here but comcast and I definitely don't want Verizon.