Honored Contributor

@apple1964 

Cloud based gaming is coming and it's coming soon. When it becomes a reality Chromebooks will be able to do what any modern gaming computer does. Cloud based gaming essentially does all the computing work in the cloud and your computer or Chromebook, simply serves as a terminal for the cloud. There are a few companies already deploying such systems with many more likely to come. Oddly enough, Microsoft and Sony have partnered to develop cloud based gaming.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Thanks for this discussion.  I am starting to look into buying something new as I have been informed that Microsoft will no longer be updating my OS version next year.  This mode of service is really annoying to me.  I purchased this laptop in 2011 and one of the reasons I purchased was lifetime antivirus.  That is a joke since they design techology to be obsolete as soon as they can.  I am no longer interested in spending $800 on a laptop to check emails, accounts, shop and do the things that seem to require the use of a computer these days.  

I have a Window 7 computer. It  runs, but old and slow. Microsoft supports their software for 10 years. 
You can find a laptop at many price points. You can buy a tablet, or chromebook. So many choices.

I want to LOl. I have a Window 8.1 computer and Window 10. I like having a spare.

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Thanks for this discussion.  I am starting to look into buying something new as I have been informed that Microsoft will no longer be updating my OS version next year.  This mode of service is really annoying to me.  I purchased this laptop in 2011 and one of the reasons I purchased was lifetime antivirus.  That is a joke since they design techology to be obsolete as soon as they can.  I am no longer interested in spending $800 on a laptop to check emails, accounts, shop and do the things that seem to require the use of a computer these days.  

@avid shopper 

I spent about $300 for my laptop by choosing one that was not the fastest, without mega-storage, etc. It suits me fine.

It might be the case that all you need is a tablet. Something to think about....

Trusted Contributor

I too have Samsung Pro and have not had any problems.  I think my next one will be the ASUS 360.  Not as expensive as the Samsung.  I have not been disappointed at all with CHROMEBOOK OS!  NO VIRUSES, easy to set prefences, very quick.  Lovely...

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 

Cloud based gaming is coming and it's coming soon. When it becomes a reality Chromebooks will be able to do what any modern gaming computer does. Cloud based gaming essentially does all the computing work in the cloud and your computer or Chromebook, simply serves as a terminal for the cloud. There are a few companies already deploying such systems with many more likely to come. Oddly enough, Microsoft and Sony have partnered to develop cloud based gaming.

Sounds good to me.... thanks for the post, very interesting. Have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

Hi @qvcaddition ,

In order to use your Chromebook, you'll need to have a Gmail account for it, so that you can sign in to your Chromebook.

Google will ask you for this same sign-in, any time that you do anything that's Google-related with your Chromebook--like if you want to use the Google Docs program for Word Processing, you'll need to sign into it, for example. 

Using Gmail will have nothing to do with your other e-mail accounts.

You will still be able to use them and sign into them like you always do.

Once you plug your Chromebook in for the first time to use it and to finish charging it up for the first time, it will take you through all of the steps that you need to do, in order to start using it. 

If you don't have a Gmail e-mail account, it will prompt you to open one up. 

I know I typed up a lot of information for you, regarding Chromebooks. Smiley Happy

You will be helped and prompted along the way with using your Chromebook, once you plug in your Chromebook. Smiley Happy

@Toppers3 

Thank you so much for the great informafion, it helps.  Waiting for the holiday sale to buy.  You also answered me about being able to keep my present email though I have to sign for gmail.   

Trusted Contributor

You're very welcome, @qvcaddition . Smiley Happy

Once you buy a Chromebook--If you have any questions about using it--just ask away here on the forum, and I'm sure that one of us here will be able to help answer your questions about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

i love mine... will definetely get another one when this one goes.  its all i need in a computer and super easy to use... i dont need anything complicated all i use my comp. for is shopping, email, facebook etc... i have an hp.. from what im hearing i'd go with an hp, dell or acer

Do not forget that you never need virus protection or Malware these babies never get virus of any kind. And they will keep updating and updating. I have had my old HP since 2015 and we only begin buying others for a back up just in case. My tech says that these CB's only get newer as they age [If that makes any since] I think he means the updating. When I think of all the headaches with windows 8 and 10. As I said before these will get better and better with time. And my old HP is still updating. My windows would not support all that has been updated in those four years. Have a happy day!

Esteemed Contributor

Just wanted to add that the settings are a little different from a windows device. I found it easier to find the settings on a CB then when I started to use a windows computer. Once you signed in find the settings you will be golden. You will not believe how easy and fast and snappy it is. Happy shopping O/P.

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

You're very welcome, @qvcaddition . Smiley Happy

Once you buy a Chromebook--If you have any questions about using it--just ask away here on the forum, and I'm sure that one of us here will be able to help answer your questions about it.

I will echo that... we are here for you if you have any questions.