Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11 -

I love your dog!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, that's my baby...

Esteemed Contributor

@Foolywooly11 

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

Thanks, that's my baby...

I have a baby too, poodle/Maltese.  My family.  Your is very cute.

Can you do banking on CB and look up accts?

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Thank all for your positive answers.  I,m sold.  I will stay posted after I purchase one and let you know.  I thought I would wait for the Memorial weekend sale.

Is there a printer that is compatable?

Hi @qvcaddition ,

My husband and I have both been using Chromebooks for the past few years.

In fact, we will both be getting new ones, and we both ordered the same manufacturer brands again.

He will be getting another ACER, and I will be getting another HP.

For both of us, the ones that we have stopped working and the batteries stopped, too. He had his for about 5 years, and I had mine for about 4 years.

If you just want to basically use a Chromebook for checking e-mails, getting around on the Internet, watching videos, and doing basic things like that, then you should be fine with a more basic Chromebook where the average price is around $200.

You can use them for Word Processing. They have a program for that, called Google Docs. People may not be aware of that. It's similar to Microsoft Word and its other programs like Excel, if you need to do spreadsheets, etc. 

Some things to know about Chromebooks...

They use their own operating system. They do not run off of Windows.

So, you can't download any Windows programs on them.

They also don't use a Google Android system either, like certain phones do, too. 

That seems to confuse people too, because Chromebooks are Google devices.

Chromebooks have a Chromium Operating System. You can put Apps on them from the Chrome Web Store, that are compatible with a Chromebook.

There is a Settings section in your Chromebook in the browser section, where you can find these things. You'll find it in your tutorial.

If you decide to get one, I would recommend using the tutorial that will come up on your particular Chromebook when you plug it in and set it up.

It's not difficult to set up. You plug it in, and follow the prompts. If you have a gmail account, it's even easier. If you don't, you'll have to make one in order to use your Chromebook. 

A Chromebook also runs off of the Chrome browser. As I like to say, "It's all Google, all of the time." Smiley Happy

That's the only browser that you can use with it. 

I think that it's pretty user-friendly.

As others have mentioned, it has an anti-virus program already built into it, so you don't have to worry about that.

It is secure, so you can use it for your personal on-line needs--shopping, etc. 

We have both of ours set up to print, and that was a bit trickier for us.

We needed a new printer, so we ended up buying what's called a wireless "Cloud-Ready Printer" that's made to be used with a Chromebook and other devices.

The older printers that are out there would not work/be compatible with our Chromebooks. 

I found out that it's better to use a printer brand that's also compatible with your Chromebook brand. In other words, since I was using an HP Chromebook, it would be better to use an HP printer.

So, that is what we did, and I was able to hook the Chromebook up to the printer better that way.

You can also go to the Chromebook manufacturer's website, and see what printers would be compatible with the Chromebook. That would make it easier.

It narrows things down that way, and we didn't think to do that at first. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this discussion.  I am starting to look into buying something new as I have been informed that Microsoft will no longer be updating my OS version next year.  This mode of service is really annoying to me.  I purchased this laptop in 2011 and one of the reasons I purchased was lifetime antivirus.  That is a joke since they design techology to be obsolete as soon as they can.  I am no longer interested in spending $800 on a laptop to check emails, accounts, shop and do the things that seem to require the use of a computer these days.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3 

@Toppers3 wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

Thank all for your positive answers.  I,m sold.  I will stay posted after I purchase one and let you know.  I thought I would wait for the Memorial weekend sale.

Is there a printer that is compatable?

Hi @qvcaddition ,

My husband and I have both been using Chromebooks for the past few years.

In fact, we will both be getting new ones, and we both ordered the same manufacturer brands again.

He will be getting another ACER, and I will be getting another HP.

For both of us, the ones that we have stopped working and the batteries stopped, too. He had his for about 5 years, and I had mine for about 4 years.

If you just want to basically use a Chromebook for checking e-mails, getting around on the Internet, watching videos, and doing basic things like that, then you should be fine with a more basic Chromebook where the average price is around $200.

You can use them for Word Processing. They have a program for that, called Google Docs. People may not be aware of that. It's similar to Microsoft Word and its other programs like Excel, if you need to do spreadsheets, etc. 

Some things to know about Chromebooks...

They use their own operating system. They do not run off of Windows.

So, you can't download any Windows programs on them.

They also don't use a Google Android system either, like certain phones do, too. 

That seems to confuse people too, because Chromebooks are Google devices.

Chromebooks have a Chromium Operating System. You can put Apps on them from the Chrome Web Store, that are compatible with a Chromebook.

There is a Settings section in your Chromebook in the browser section, where you can find these things. You'll find it in your tutorial.

If you decide to get one, I would recommend using the tutorial that will come up on your particular Chromebook when you plug it in and set it up.

It's not difficult to set up. You plug it in, and follow the prompts. If you have a gmail account, it's even easier. If you don't, you'll have to make one in order to use your Chromebook. 

A Chromebook also runs off of the Chrome browser. As I like to say, "It's all Google, all of the time." Smiley Happy

That's the only browser that you can use with it. 

I think that it's pretty user-friendly.

As others have mentioned, it has an anti-virus program already built into it, so you don't have to worry about that.

It is secure, so you can use it for your personal on-line needs--shopping, etc. 

We have both of ours set up to print, and that was a bit trickier for us.

We needed a new printer, so we ended up buying what's called a wireless "Cloud-Ready Printer" that's made to be used with a Chromebook and other devices.

The older printers that are out there would not work/be compatible with our Chromebooks. 

I found out that it's better to use a printer brand that's also compatible with your Chromebook brand. In other words, since I was using an HP Chromebook, it would be better to use an HP printer.

So, that is what we did, and I was able to hook the Chromebook up to the printer better that way.

You can also go to the Chromebook manufacturer's website, and see what printers would be compatible with the Chromebook. That would make it easier.

It narrows things down that way, and we didn't think to do that at first. 

Thank Y you for the wonderful explaination.  I,m thinking HP CB.  I really appreciate all the wonderful answers and information on this thread.  

when you say get a gmail acct. Does that mean my current email account will not work on CB?  

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition : Sure, I do all of that.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @qvcaddition ,

In order to use your Chromebook, you'll need to have a Gmail account for it, so that you can sign in to your Chromebook.

Google will ask you for this same sign-in, any time that you do anything that's Google-related with your Chromebook--like if you want to use the Google Docs program for Word Processing, you'll need to sign into it, for example. 

Using Gmail will have nothing to do with your other e-mail accounts.

You will still be able to use them and sign into them like you always do.

Once you plug your Chromebook in for the first time to use it and to finish charging it up for the first time, it will take you through all of the steps that you need to do, in order to start using it. 

If you don't have a Gmail e-mail account, it will prompt you to open one up. 

I know I typed up a lot of information for you, regarding Chromebooks. Smiley Happy

You will be helped and prompted along the way with using your Chromebook, once you plug in your Chromebook. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

We recently brought a new CB a Lenovo 14 inch to back up our Acer and HP. I love mine! I would never go back to WIndows device again. My husband and I have been using them since they came out in 2015. However I do not recomend the Samsung Pro we had that 11 inch and sent it back .. I was very disappointed because we love anything Samsung. Also, I do not recommend CB to anyone who is a big time gamer. CB does have the playstore now so we can download apps which is very nice. But, someone that is used to a windows device will notice a lackluster gaming platform. But, who knows the way CB have come since 2015 [they are always upgrading] We may have that too. I love CB for business and yes for everything else. Happy shopping O/P.

Trusted Contributor

i love mine... will definetely get another one when this one goes.  its all i need in a computer and super easy to use... i dont need anything complicated all i use my comp. for is shopping, email, facebook etc... i have an hp.. from what im hearing i'd go with an hp, dell or acer