Honored Contributor

Does anyone own Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop? AMD Ryzen 3 Radeon Graphics

I had this for about 6 months, from QVC.  A total nightmare, it was freezing, not taking commands, loading forever, etc.  Two long calls with Dell India for free to have me run hardware checks for a few hours.  Then a $169.00 call to software, appeared fixed.  The guy was supposed to call me Monday, never has.  The problem now?  He had me disable an entire page of whatevers, and evidently that included Adobe as I can no longer get into any PDF's.  My old Dells always had Intel, and this one doesn't.

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone own Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop? AMD Ryzen 3 Radeon Graphics

[ Edited ]

@depglass The only thing I can offer is that about 2years ago I bought an Inspiron 15 5000 Intel i5 and if was a nightmare. I got it from Dell right at the time that a major overhaul was done on Windows. It never worked right. All the problems you mention. I hated it. I broke the screen and didn't care - I wsn't putting a dime into it.

However, it was the only bad Dell I had ever had both at home and at work. So I bought another one this January. A brand new Inspiron 15 5000 i7 - not refurbished - from the Dell Outlet for a fraction of the price. It's excellent.

This makes me think that maybe you bought from QVC one of the ones that (I believe) was not optimized for the new Windows environment. There were multiple people online at the time talking about having tons of problems. 

I can't offer you much hope, as I believe  they were all fine but then the Windows system changed and they were then rendered lemons.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone own Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop? AMD Ryzen 3 Radeon Graphics

Reinstall Adobe.  If that doesn't work, restore it back to factory specs and start over. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would not touch a Dell product if they gave it to me for free now. The CS is terrible and the  devices are just not the quality they used to be. I know because I had a desk top back in the day and I recently well several years ago ordered a tablet. I feel for the O/P I hope she gets help for her issues.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I had this for about 6 months, from QVC.  A total nightmare, it was freezing, not taking commands, loading forever, etc.  Two long calls with Dell India for free to have me run hardware checks for a few hours.  Then a $169.00 call to software, appeared fixed.  The guy was supposed to call me Monday, never has.  The problem now?  He had me disable an entire page of whatevers, and evidently that included Adobe as I can no longer get into any PDF's.  My old Dells always had Intel, and this one doesn't.

I think your first problem was getting any device from a shopping channel.That is a nightmare. It has only been 6 months can you return it or exchange it?

Respected Contributor

One of our last laptops was a Dell and our 'computer guy' who deals with all our computer problems and issues was THRILLED when I said I bought it direct from Dell.

Even he had to spend hours on the phone with Dell to resolve our odd problem.  

He said had we purchased it from a third party like Q or Best Buy they would not have been as helpful and it would have been more expensive to fix.  

(He cautioned, buy any computer from Walmart and plan on tossing it in the trash and buying a new one.  CS on a WM computer is non-existent.)

Honored Contributor

Update:  I bit and paid the $169.00 to their software department, since that was out of warranty.  Another hour on the phone.  Nothing was working, I couldn't even download their Dell support program.  He said it was because they were using a new program and were still working out the kinks.  Liar.  This computer just plain won't download anything complicated.  Again he promised to call me back and didn't.  At least this guy spoke very good English.  They won't take it back, even on an upgrade to a more expensive computer.  I've been out and about on summer activities, so haven't had a chance to give this a real workout.  I still have a freezing problem, I resolve that by holding down the silver button and tapping on the F12 button for maybe 15 secconds.  This computer came with Edge, I use Google Chrome instead.  I still have issues with PDF's.  Does anyone know how Costco runs their tech support?  As we were leaving yesterday, I noticed a sign that says two year tech support on electronics.  That store is 125 miles away, we go about 4 times a year.  What do you think about buying a computer from Costco?  Not a Dell, obviously.  

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Update:  I bit and paid the $169.00 to their software department, since that was out of warranty.  Another hour on the phone.  Nothing was working, I couldn't even download their Dell support program.  He said it was because they were using a new program and were still working out the kinks.  Liar.  This computer just plain won't download anything complicated.  Again he promised to call me back and didn't.  At least this guy spoke very good English.  They won't take it back, even on an upgrade to a more expensive computer.  I've been out and about on summer activities, so haven't had a chance to give this a real workout.  I still have a freezing problem, I resolve that by holding down the silver button and tapping on the F12 button for maybe 15 secconds.  This computer came with Edge, I use Google Chrome instead.  I still have issues with PDF's.  Does anyone know how Costco runs their tech support?  As we were leaving yesterday, I noticed a sign that says two year tech support on electronics.  That store is 125 miles away, we go about 4 times a year.  What do you think about buying a computer from Costco?  Not a Dell, obviously.  

This computer has a glitch. G suggests a system restore. Please try to bring your computer back.

Second Idea. 

You should have a copy of the work order.  Call Dell and ask a tech to do a system restore. A reset will delete your data.

Find a solution that will not cost any money. 

Honored Contributor

Update to my update:  I finally think this thing is fixed.  A third tech called me yesterday and was able to access my computer, a step that has failed with two previous sessions.  It took a good hour and a half, but he ran though everything.  I was seeing things on my screen I've never heard of.  By the time he was done he said I was good to go except for major gaming, which I have no interest in.  He did email me with a reference number to contact him with if necessary.  As for getting my $169.00 back, that is not happening.  I did give him positive feedback with the follow-up supervisor call.  I've left no feedback regarding the five previous techs.  

Super Contributor

@depglass 

Costco is terrific. Having the extra warranty year is a plus. Would not hesitate to buy from Costco if I found the right computer for me.  Happy you hopefully have it fixed.

Have to toss in my 2-cents. I have had Dell computers for years and wouldn't buy anything else. No, am not crazy about their c/s, but fortunately I've had little reason to need them. I have 1 Dell laptop (Vostro) that is about 14 yrs old and still going strong; 2 Dell laptops (Inspiron) that were Win7's, now operating as Win10; 1 Dell Win8 laptop that a friend purchased at WalMart but hated Win8 & gave to me--it's now a Win10 and still working fine; a Dell desktop that gets hard use--is 7 yrs old, went from Win7 to Win10. Just purchased a Dell G5 15 laptop as I wanted a new Win10 with certain specs--hope I have as much luck with this one as I've had with past computers.