Respected Contributor

I was just in the market for a new laptop.

I hired a 'computer guy" to go through all my needs of a computer, etc, he produced a list of minimum specs that would meet my needs, broke each category into good, better, best and gave me a list of computers that would meet those needs.  But really I could look at ANY computer and judge it against my list of specs.

I have to admit I do not even understand what each spec stands for, means or does.

I then went to the different companies online and signed up for email alerts and coupons, with the coupons and 'private sale' I saved $400 over what I planned to spend.

Esteemed Contributor

QVC sells yesterday's technology today for a much higher price than it's worth. Go to Best Buy or Costco if you want something to fit your needs. That way you can compare models in person and see what fits best. I bought a $400 computer from Costco a year ago and it's fine. I don't use it much as I am on my iPad for the most part. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Buying a latop on Qvc

[ Edited ]

I bought my Dell laptop in 11/09 and it's still going strong - love it.  Our desktop is our second Dell desktop.  First one we got from QVC - second one we got from Walmart. I highly recommend Dell.  AND QVC.  But you have to read the specs on the laptop - you'll want the newest operating system for instance. And you have to know what else you want and need. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @tinall .. regardless of what you decide to purchase my advise would be to stay away from QVC.  They tend to sell outdated electronics at ridiculously high prices.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tinall

You can find specific information by doing a google and asking specific questions. For instance you say "I want to know all the up-to-date specs". Type that in and it will give you at least more knowledge about those parts of a computer?

Then I suggest you sit down and call some Computer Companies and get their price for a computer with only the specs you choose. Chances are good it will be cheaper because you won't be paying for software or hardware you may never use.

If you are only using your computer for basic things like: email/surfing the web/doing online buying/online paying your bills and things of that nature, you probably do not need top level specs be able to do all those things to your satisfaction.

The last place I would ever buy any electronic device is on a shopping network. Doing that puts a 3rd party into your purchase, and most of the time, that IS NOT a good thing. Direct purchase means you deal directly with the computer company, thus no discussions on who is responsible should you have a computer failure.

Never hurts to search out more information before buying any 3 figure item/device. In buying "Knowledge is Power", and in this day and age, much easier to find than in past decades.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tinall wrote:

I need someone pretty computer savory to look over the laptops offered here on Qvc and tell me a decent laptop to buy! I am not interested in Apple. I do not want a 17 inch one either. Something decent where I can check my FB and emails... and browse the Internet! I have found more expense is not always the right one either! Been there and done that and they don't last any longer than one half their price! I want all the up to date specks which I have heard QVC is know to try and sell their old stuff as just out for June of 2017,  Not nice QVC! I do not understand the guts or inners of a computer and that is why I am asking! QVC spends to much time on the color or the computer and the useless junk you get with it then explaining what you are really getting! They have hired excellent salespeople that all they how is to run their mouth and probably know no more than myself! Thank you for any advice! 

@tinall

IMO .........    Based on my personal experience with a QVC purchase, I would say DO NOT buy a Dell .....  go with Hewlett Packard.    In the first 3 years I've had my Dell laptop, I've spent more in repairs than it actually cost.  

I was later told this isn't unusual.  Just my two cents, of course.   I'm sure other people might not have had this experience.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not buy a laptop from QVC. They sell laptops with  AMD processors which are  a piece of junk. I bougjt one Dell computer from QVC and it was slower than my old computer. I returned it. About 6 months later, I thought I would try again, it was no different, very slow. Sent that one back. If you find a computer on QVC, get one that is an intel processor, I5 or above. They are rare, but someimes they have one. Also when you biuy from QVC you get a lot of junk programs that are typically useless.