Trusted Contributor

I'm looking for a new Tracfone.

My service time is up in early May and I think I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and get rid of my beloved LG Ultimate 2 with light up home button.  <sigh>  I still love the phone, but it's kind of slow and it's running KitKat; I would like something more updated.

I also have a backup phone, which is the LG Sunset running Lollipop.  My issue with this phone is that I don't have enough space.  It's 8gb, like my Ultimate 2.  I have microSD cards in both phones and the apps are identical.  I don't take pictures on my LG Sunset, it's simply a backup phone.  I've moved everything I can to the microSD card, yet I still get a low memory warning all the time.  This doesn't happen with my Ultimate 2, perhaps because of the different operating system??  I'm not really sure.

If anyone has a recommendation for a new Tracfone I would love to hear it.  LG or Samsung only.  I've only ever had LG and I love them.  I think I'm looking for a 16gb phone only.  And CDMA (Verizon).

My uncle had the LG Premier and I really liked it a lot, but it's only 8gb.  

Right now I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Sky.  Does anyone have that phone?  If so, how do you like it?

Also, does anyone know if/when new phones are being released?  I don't have an issue with getting some 20 dollar airtime cards to buy some time if something better is coming from Tracfone.

Thanks for reading this!

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a new Tracfone.

[ Edited ]

My current Tracfone, Samsung, is also 8G and I finally went to Best Buy to buy a 16 G chip and now it's fine.  If I were to buy another one (mine will end in Sept.), I would be sure to buy one that is at least 16G.  There are some out there for a good price.

I see QVC has a special right now.  Check them out and also HSN.

The special price right now at Q is Lollipop 5.l, I think, but it also has only 8G.  If I were to get that one I would buy and insert a 16G chip.  It has some updated features.

Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77

I know you are partial to LG, but I'll throw this out here for you. There is a 16g Samsung/Marshmallow 6.0/1350 in buckets/quadcore/5" Super AMOLED Screen, with all the do dads as usual. Under hundred bucks, might want to check out another network. It is a Tracfone.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77 - I guess I can't help.  I have the LG Premier and I love it.  I installed a 32Gb micro card when I got it and I haven't had any issues.  I have a ton of photos and some videos on it.

I had just noticed tonight that they're offering it on QVC2 for $79.96 which is $50 less than I paid for mine about six months ago.  I love the size of the screen on the Premier and the faster 4G speed.

Best of luck finding your new phone.  Let us know what you end up with!  My next phone will likely be a 16Gb, but it won't be for quite a while.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @hckynut!  Yes, that's the Galaxy Sky I was talking about.  After going through all the options and their specs, the Sky was the only one left standing, so that might be my next phone.  I'll do some Googling to see if there will be any new phones released soon and if not, that will be that.

I saw that deal on the other network and noticed it was on sale.  It's tempting me.  Smiley Wink 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Venezia!  I'm so glad you're enjoying the Premier!  As I said, my uncle had it and I set it up for him, so I got quite a bit of playing time with it.  I loved the size.  My mom had a 5.5" Alcatel a while back and it was just too big.  She returned it.  I didn't care for it either.  5" seems to be the sweet spot.  I know the Premier is a tad bigger, but it was still really nice.  

Trusted Contributor

Hey @hckynut, have you ever had an LG smartphone before?  The reason I love LG so much is because I love their pulldown menu from the top of the screen.  I like the quick menu that slides on the top.  My mom had an Alcatel at one point and I hated the pulldown menu; I found it user-unfriendly.  I guess I'm just curious what Samsung's is like and how it's different from the LG pulldown menu and if I would like it and adjust to it.

Valued Contributor

My BF and I both have the Galaxy Sky from HSN and love it! I bought it especially because of the 16g memory. I take a few photos, but mostly use it for texting and the occasional phone call. He gets all his emails thru his. 

The other thing I like about it is the replaceable battery. 

Honored Contributor

I just ordered the LG Premiere. At that price it was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm paying $20 every three months to keep my LG Ultimate 2 active, so for $85+ (after taxes) I get a year's service, plus a newer, better phone. I'm paying $80 a year now. Now I've got to get a new armored case for it like I have for my Ultimate 2 so it'll survive the drops I'll be giving it. It's just too good of a deal to pass up. Amazon is selling just the phones for $120 or the phone and a 120 minute card for $120. Here you get the phone and a year of service for $80 (before taxes.) The reviews on the phone are generally very, very good. 

Now if I can get Tracfone to add on the time and minutes on my existing phone I'll be set for about 14 months.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I have been looking for a new Tracfone as well.  I really like the LG phones and decided to get the Premier that is the Q2 deal today.  I thought it was a great value for the price.  I am not a heavy cell phone user, so this will be fine for me.