Trusted Contributor
For the past month, I have had a cough and drainage down my throat that would just not clear up. Driving me crazy!Feels like a constant lump in my throat. Finally went to the doctor and was told, it is allergies. I was a bit surprised. We have been having unseasonably warmer temps than we normally do in East Texas, but, I have never had any allergy issues before and thought those usually occured in Springtime when things start blooming. Doctor gave me a prescrption for a nasal spray, but, it doesn't really help much. So tired of trying to clear this lump in my throat!
Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

It's mucus...buy over the counter pills...big selection.

Post nasal drip......have had it all my life

Could be strange weather pattern this year

Contributor

Right there with ya. Exact symptoms. As are many people I know. I have come to realize allergies can be year round. More common than you might think. Very strange weather where I live in Tennessee as well. I have a feeling nothing will help much until the weather clears up and becomes more consistent. Hopefully we all feel better soon!😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal  Over the last 15 years I've developed "seasonal allergies" on & off,throughout the year. I've tried nearly everything prescription & over the counter stuff.

I found three things that work for me . The first, is I drink a lot of water & tea with lemon. It helps to thin the mucus.Secondly , I take an antihistamine.This helps to dry out the mucus.

Thirdly,  I take a Pepcid Complete. Pepcid is for reflux,which I have. Sometimes reflux can cause mucus from your stomach to back up into your throat.Pepcid keeps this from happening.I was told to try it years ago by a gastroenterologist.

These work for me.I'm not saying they will work for you. Good luck. I hope you find relief. I know how uncomfortable it can get.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Allergies In January

[ Edited ]

I have allergies all year every year and my doctor told me to take Mucinex DM Extra Strength.  I have been taking one pill every day for years and it really does help. It helps with the coughing.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's mucus...buy over the counter pills...big selection.

Post nasal drip......have had it all my life

Could be strange weather pattern this year

@fthunt 

I can't take just anything over the counter due to my crazy blood pressure issues. I have tried Zertec and Corricidin and they do nothing. I can't imagine dealing with this all your life! You have my sympathies.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

I may have to try the Pepcid AC. I don't have acid reflux, but, I gag easily and this mess just about makes me throw up!

Respected Contributor

@Sapphiregal   Have u tried OTC Loratadine.  I cannot take Zytec or Corriciden either but Loratadine 10 MG has been working for me for years and one of my allergies is dogs which I have.  I also use a nasal spray.

Honored Contributor

I have the same symptoms. Maybe the crazy weather this year has alot to do with it. I take Loratadine from my Dr. and also over the counter allergy relief from Shop-Rite. Hope this helps...

Feel better soon message

Esteemed Contributor

It usually take 4 days or so for Flonase nasal spray to build up enough to relieve symptoms. Most allergists say to begin using  nasal spray abt 2 weeks before  trees/grasses blooming  for most people  who suffer  from seasonal allergies .

Try Mucinix  to reduce phlegm.  Maybe your vents  need cleaning or air filters need changing .  Dust can stick to  miniblinds and fabric  window treatments . Do you have old carpet ?