Honored Contributor

Re: Advice Re: Internet, Cable TV, Landline

@SaRina wrote:

@jackthebear, I know I'd have to get over my grudge against FIOS. :-D ... but practically speaking, I have copper wiring now and I remember when they said they'd have to come into my home to change the wiring to fiber-optics. Do you know if that involves rippng my walls apart? Also, I remember TWC telling me, "Once they change your wiring, you won't be able to come back to us." Something tells me that's b.s. Do you know? ?or anyone else?

they used cablevision's wiring 

it sort of depends on what is there,   

TWC  was giving you BS,  I think

we were paying about 200 a month for internet and tv and phone with no premium channels at all and they just wouldn't budge on the price and being a customer for a long time.  the final straw was the closure of the local office,  

FIOS  less money  with the highest level of TV and internet speed. and landline which we need 

only thing I miss with cablevision is the hotspots, they are all over the place here,  but we have UL bandwith on our phone plans now 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina wrote:

Regarding phones.... I would get rid of my land line if I could rely on my cell phone. Currently, my flip phone is not reliable enough for me. I don't know whether that is the result of having an inexpensive phone... or whether it is due to the service my carrier (T-Mobile) provides. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question, if anyone knows the answer.

I don't need anything on the phone but the ability to make and receive calls, as well as text. I do not need internet access on the go.  So can anyone advise me... how would I go about identifying the best, most reliable cell phone so that I could eliminate my land line?

we  that's a tough question,

I have a iphone 6s+ and we have always had a dead spot in the house since we have a cellphones from the year 1.  So cell phone only would be a non starter here.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what you want. Just call them and find out how much it would save to get rid of your VOIP phone ( cable modem phones aren't landlines). When I called my cable company I found out it would save me like 5 dollars, because I'm getting a bundle discount. 

You could lower your internet data speed, that would lower your monthly cost. I don't understand you saying you don't need a router though. If you're using a laptop then presumably you're using wifi and not ethernet to connect to the internet.

We owned our own modem for years. You don't need to buy it from the cable company. If you want gigabit ethernet then you do need one capable of that speed, but you're on 100mb right now and I doubt there are any modems being sold today that max out lower than that. It requires little tech support, you do need to give them the serial number and other info found on the modem itself but that's it. We must have moved at least 5 times and to 4 different states and never had an issue with various cable companies and the modem we owned.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@hckynut, my apologies! My download speed is not 100 Mbps. While speaking to the rep and reading about 100 Mbps on the TWC site, I thought the rep confirmed this to me. I just googled a download speed test, and my computer runs at 4.13 Mbps, which is still sufficient for my needs. lol :-D

@jackthebear, Verizon FIOS is also in my area. They have been outrightly harassing me for Years, both by phone, mail, and in person. I spoke to their Corporate, demanding they "cease and desist" with the harassment, and said I would never, ever do business with them. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure their rates are more (except for new customers with their initial promotional bundling, which would end after a year).

What you're signed up to recieve in data speeds is not necessarily what you show on a speed test. The plan speeds are maximum speeds. It all depends on how busy traffic is in your area and also how you're connected. I get my full max speed of 200 mbps when I speed test my imac connected with ethernet during the day. But if I connect over wifi on my iphone even in the same room as the router I only get about 80 mbps. Because of the type of construction and distance from my router to my bedroom I get 4-20 mbps in the bedroom though. My point is that speed tests aren't static.  

Respected Contributor

@glb613, I have a 7-year-old Toshiba laptop, Windows 7. Love it! I think it's considered to be ancient, however. Purchased in 2010. 

@Spurt, thanks for the info and links. I'll have more time to read them later. Have to run out soon.

@jaxs mom, it is a land line. I had it before the computer. Regarding internet speed, I goofed earlier about the 100 Mbps. It's only 4.13 Mbps. Can't go much lower than that, lol.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom, yes, I now understand about the speed. My TWC bundling package allows for 100 Mbps. My speed is much less than that. I know the speed test instructs you to take several readings during the week at different times and with different usage, but I don't expect my speed to be that different. My laptop is the only device I use, so the variable is just time of day.

Honored Contributor

Some of you are confusing wifi and ethernet. Wifi is wireless, ethernet is wired, both connect you to the internet. I'd 90% of people using a laptop are connecting over wifi. Unless you're plugging an ethernet cable into your laptop, you're using wifi. 

TV's do not require wifi most of the time, they also have ethernet plugs. Of course if you use ethernet then you have to postiion your devices within cord reach. 

Having a telephone prior to getting a computer has nothing to do with if your telephone is VOIP or a landline. 

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@glb613, I have a 7-year-old Toshiba laptop, Windows 7. Love it! I think it's considered to be ancient, however. Purchased in 2010. 

@Spurt, thanks for the info and links. I'll have more time to read them later. Have to run out soon.

@jaxs mom, it is a land line. I had it before the computer. Regarding internet speed, I goofed earlier about the 100 Mbps. It's only 4.13 Mbps. Can't go much lower than that, lol.

Your computer is fine, your internet speed isn't.  I doubt you'll be able to stream with a spead that slow.  You must have a fast internet connection to stream without buffering.  If you are determine to cut the cable TV, do yourself a big favor and increase your internet speed. 

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan...What kind of antenna did you purchase....are you in or near a large city? 

DH and I have considered one but are pretty certain that we will not get good service, thanks.

Honored Contributor

I have Triple Play with Verizon FIOS.  TV was the most basic I could get.  Last year I planned to drop TV and use an antenna.  I asked Verizon for a Double Play quote -- and it was actually more that what I was paying for Triple Play.  They said it was because of discounts built into Triple Play that I'd lose.  What a racket.  But I understand why they do it - don't wan't to report lower number of cable subscribers to shareholders.