Respected Contributor

Re: Advice Re: Internet, Cable TV, Landline

Thanks @dusty1. That's helpful to know. :-)

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Nicknack, I don't spend a lot of time on either phone. I mentioned before that I pay $28/month for unlimited cell phone usage with T-Mobile. It's an old contract that they let me keep for customer loyalty. The problem is... the service is not reliable and I don't know whether that's due to the flip phone phone itself, or the carrier, or too much interference in my area. If I could be assured of reliable cell phone service, I'd definitely cancel my land line. 

@SaRina

Unless you use your cell phone a lot, maybe you might look at TracFone. My present phone cost me under $80 for 1 year service/1300 minutes talk time/data, and email. That is over roughly 100+ minutes per month/25+ minutes a week.

Since you have a landline, isn't that enough minutes using your cell phone. My cell at under $80 figures out to about $6.66 per month for text/data and email. Thought I would throw this into this. Have had Tracfone for about 10 years and I can't remember having any dropped calls.

Another thinking point. As for the download speed? My 12mbs is plenty fast enough for me go stream 4k movies on Amazon Prime and Netflix. They say you need 25mbs, but I never see the hated "buffering" circle, which means your system is slow.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@hckynut, my apologies! My download speed is not 100 Mbps. While speaking to the rep and reading about 100 Mbps on the TWC site, I thought the rep confirmed this to me. I just googled a download speed test, and my computer runs at 4.13 Mbps, which is still sufficient for my needs. lol :-D

@jackthebear, Verizon FIOS is also in my area. They have been outrightly harassing me for Years, both by phone, mail, and in person. I spoke to their Corporate, demanding they "cease and desist" with the harassment, and said I would never, ever do business with them. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure their rates are more (except for new customers with their initial promotional bundling, which would end after a year).

We signed up with Fios after 20+ years with our previous provider who did not want to do anything for me as far as prices 

very pleased 

2 years contract 

it might be worth considering 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cut the cord.  It's scary, but with some research prior to doing it, you won't be disappointed.

Connect your TVs to an antenna.  The old fashioned roof ones work great.  There are inside attennas that you stick to a window or wall, with some effort ot can work well enough.  The antenna will get you your local channels plus more.  Instead just channel 5, you might have 5,  5.1,  5,2  5,2.  For instance Qvc is on my over the air channel 30.5.

As an Amazon Prime member I have tons of movies and seasons of TV shows to watch.  I also have Netflix.  They have some things Amazon doesn't have.

Check out Sling TV and a newer Playstation TV. Both are apps.  I access them via my Fire TV Box.  Sling TV is $24.99 (out the door) It has some local channels, CNN, Fox Sports channels, and other channels that have been only found on cable.  They just recently added DVR service for an additional amount.  ( Iv'e heard the Playstation TV may be better)

Can't miss you fav's on Showtime or HBO? Get it via an app for about $14.99 a month. Cancel it when you want, sign up for it again later. No additional fees. No service fees.

Cable cost me $200.00 a month on a few TVS.  You can watch additional streams on different TVS without paying extra for it. I am way under 100.00 a month now, and have more to show for it.

Whatever you do, research it first.  Know exactly what you are getting.

I am in control of what I pay for, what I want to watch. . It was scary at first.  Now I wouldn't go back for anything.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear, I know I'd have to get over my grudge against FIOS. :-D ... but practically speaking, I have copper wiring now and I remember when they said they'd have to come into my home to change the wiring to fiber-optics. Do you know if that involves rippng my walls apart? Also, I remember TWC telling me, "Once they change your wiring, you won't be able to come back to us." Something tells me that's b.s. Do you know? ?or anyone else?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina  Good news is that you don't need to purchase wi-fi service in order to stream if you want to watch shows on your laptop.  For watching on smart TV's, yes, you'll need wi-fi.  However, the amount of speed does depend on a lot on your computer.  Even though companies advertise 100 mg speed, that is what your service is capable, and really depends on what your computer will do.  If your computer is really old, you might want to consider upgrading, I have nearly 100 mgs when I do the speed test, but my computer is new - plus your speeds will be better when directly hooked up the modem vs. not, and might be slower if using wi-fi.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRinaYou can always go back to your previous provider.  When you cancel with one company, they usually just disconnect you either electronically, or at the point of entry to your home.  If they start pulling the lines down, I would have a huge problem with them. 

Depending on how old the original wiring is or where you want to have your TV in your house, sometimes they have to run another line from the point of entry (mine is by my electric meter on the side of the house) to where your want the wire to be (running along the eave of your house), but it doesn't involve ripping walls. They may have to put new lines in but usually it's just a matter of reconnecting the lines that were in place before.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@SaRina  Good news is that you don't need to purchase wi-fi service in order to stream if you want to watch shows on your laptop.  For watching on smart TV's, yes, you'll need wi-fi.  However, the amount of speed does depend on a lot on your computer.  Even though companies advertise 100 mg speed, that is what your service is capable, and really depends on what your computer will do.  If your computer is really old, you might want to consider upgrading, I have nearly 100 mgs when I do the speed test, but my computer is new - plus your speeds will be better when directly hooked up the modem vs. not, and might be slower if using wi-fi.

@More good info @CAcableGirl2. Thanks.  :-)  But this is exactly what frightens me -- If I move forward with a more independent plan, I need a new computer, new TV, new provider, new wiring, new modem, wi-fi (because I don't want to watch on a 15" screen all evening)..... it's dizzying to me. And that's just the cable aspect. I also have the land line, or not, dilemma. New cell phone? Tracfone?

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@CAcableGirl2, I know for a fact that I am paying less than the average person for these bundled services and guess I should be happy for that, but.... I can't help being outraged by the number of increases in such a short amount of time... and I suspect this pattern will continue when "billing codes are eventually switched over to Spectrum" (codes are still under TWC) as it was explained to me on the phone. I did confirm that if I eliminated my land line, for example, my bill would be less and, of course, if I purchase my modem rather than leasing, my bill would be additionally less.

Can I use my computer to stream tv? I don't know enough about what's required. That's my dilemma. I'm afraid if I start making all these changes, somehow I'll wind up with nothing because this isn't compatible with that, I don't have the right equipment, etc., etc.

911 is important to me. Currently, I pay $28/month for my flip phone, unlimited service. Like I said, I don't use it much.

Only leasing the modem for $10/month. No wi-fi. I see an approved modem would run me about $55.

Believe me, I told them about my budget. They had nothin'.

The only things you need to cut the cable is a fast internet service, wireless router and an TV antenna.  If you don't have a smart TV, you need a streaming device like Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick or Chrome Cast.  You'll also have to subscribe to a streaming service like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime to access the programs you want to watch.  The upfront costs will probably add up to a monthly cable bill but, once you buy the streaming device or wireless router, they are not ongoing expenses. 

Don't get yourself all hung up on installing a new cable or rewiring.  Chances of that happening are rare.   The same with buying a new computer.  You haven't posted how old it is but, unless it's ancient, it will be fine.  I really think you are making this more difficult than it needs to be. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina

Here are some good questions to ask yourself before you get rid of your landline......Also, if you get rid of your landline, your cable may actually go up because that is one of the items for bundling and getting a reduced price....so add that to the list.........

https://callnerds.com/is-it-time-to-ditch-your-landline-phone/

And before you check out satellite---Dish, Direct TV....one of the big complaints my friends had with them when bad weather hits---no TV and satellite companies are always trying to get rid of channels and then there is a big campaign to "save the channel"....they recently tried to get rid of ABC here and no more local news...and also difficult to cancel if it doesn't work out........make sure you ask and read info regarding cancelations.

And if you stream TV/movies etc  keep in mind you are still going to need a high speed internet connection............

Here's some information on that..........

http://lifehacker.com/5819955/should-i-ditch-cable-at-home-for-4g-wireless-from-my-cellular-provider

http://www.gq.com/story/cable-cutting-non-tech-guide

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”