Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice Re: Internet, Cable TV, Landline

Check out the websites that tell the direction and strength of signals.  Then you can try out an antenna before you cut the cord.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@wildcat fan...What kind of antenna did you purchase....are you in or near a large city? 

DH and I have considered one but are pretty certain that we will not get good service, thanks.

@Mom2Dogs We purchased a Mohu Leaf indoor antenna on sale at Best Buy.  They come in a variety of strengths, and there are others more powerful and more expensive than the one we got.  We're about 30 miles from a large city, but several of the channels are coming from 60-75 miles away.  

I used this website to gauge how many channels we might get by entering our zip code:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

We're picking up most of the ones listed in my zip code (even most of the weak signals) and more.  I wasn't expecting to get so many shopping channels!  I didn't get some of them (like Q2) when I subscribed to cable.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs, @wildcat fan, several years ago I bought an indoor antenna for my bedroom tv to reduce my cable bill. The second tv was not all that important to me. I bought probably the least expensive antenna there is... maybe $20.... and only get very few channels (much fewer than what is listed for my zip code). I live in a large city with an unobstructed view, so I'm surprised I didn't get more channels. I'm going to go back to Best Buy for a more expensive antenna.

BTW, I said in an earlier post how I was harassed for years by Verizon to switch to them and I swore for that reason, I would never, ever do business with them. I did call the other day to check out their monthly rates and it is quite a bit more (for double or triple play) than what I'm paying now with TWC, so I guess I should be satisfied... for now.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina...we checked on an antenna...we would not be able to get any local channels.  We have dropped some channels to keep the bill lower.   We really only watch about 10 channels, there is a lot of junk on some channels and we are not sport fans.

For the time being we are stuck with what we have.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Mom2Dogs, @wildcat fan, several years ago I bought an indoor antenna for my bedroom tv to reduce my cable bill. The second tv was not all that important to me. I bought probably the least expensive antenna there is... maybe $20.... and only get very few channels (much fewer than what is listed for my zip code). I live in a large city with an unobstructed view, so I'm surprised I didn't get more channels. I'm going to go back to Best Buy for a more expensive antenna.

BTW, I said in an earlier post how I was harassed for years by Verizon to switch to them and I swore for that reason, I would never, ever do business with them. I did call the other day to check out their monthly rates and it is quite a bit more (for double or triple play) than what I'm paying now with TWC, so I guess I should be satisfied... for now.

You should go to Fios site and see what promotions are available. 

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@SaRina  Good news is that you don't need to purchase wi-fi service in order to stream if you want to watch shows on your laptop.  For watching on smart TV's, yes, you'll need wi-fi.  However, the amount of speed does depend on a lot on your computer.  Even though companies advertise 100 mg speed, that is what your service is capable, and really depends on what your computer will do.  If your computer is really old, you might want to consider upgrading, I have nearly 100 mgs when I do the speed test, but my computer is new - plus your speeds will be better when directly hooked up the modem vs. not, and might be slower if using wi-fi.

@More good info @CAcableGirl2. Thanks.  :-)  But this is exactly what frightens me -- If I move forward with a more independent plan, I need a new computer, new TV, new provider, new wiring, new modem, wi-fi (because I don't want to watch on a 15" screen all evening)..... it's dizzying to me. And that's just the cable aspect. I also have the land line, or not, dilemma. New cell phone? Tracfone?

Don't try to change everything at one time.

That's why I won't "bundle"

Honored Contributor

I doubt if Jax DOWNLOAD speed is 4.13.  Tht sounds more like an upload speed, so she is probably getting up to 60mbps download speed.

I have Charter (now called Spectrum, actually, since they purchased a couple other cable companies) and with 60mbp, landline, and cable tv with ALL the channels, including Premium channels, I pay just over $200 for all three services.     I don't think I could do better unless I decided to downgrade my cable, which I wouldn't, as I use HBO and Showtime regularly.

Honored Contributor

i have maintained our comcast for 20+ years.....internet, tv, phone. i prefer to have everything with one company. we have been pleased with the services, so that is why i really dont want to switch.

we recently upgraded to their X1 services and our bill actually went down.....all new boxes installed, new wiring outside,  the voice remotes, plus two DVR boxes. they came and installed everything and took all of the old boxes away.

i am pretty vigilant about reviewing the bills every six months. if something goes up, i call to get a better package deal......and there is usually one available.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@SaRina  Good news is that you don't need to purchase wi-fi service in order to stream if you want to watch shows on your laptop.  For watching on smart TV's, yes, you'll need wi-fi.  However, the amount of speed does depend on a lot on your computer.  Even though companies advertise 100 mg speed, that is what your service is capable, and really depends on what your computer will do.  If your computer is really old, you might want to consider upgrading, I have nearly 100 mgs when I do the speed test, but my computer is new - plus your speeds will be better when directly hooked up the modem vs. not, and might be slower if using wi-fi.

@More good info @CAcableGirl2. Thanks.  :-)  But this is exactly what frightens me -- If I move forward with a more independent plan, I need a new computer, new TV, new provider, new wiring, new modem, wi-fi (because I don't want to watch on a 15" screen all evening)..... it's dizzying to me. And that's just the cable aspect. I also have the land line, or not, dilemma. New cell phone? Tracfone?

Why do you think you need to change everything? Has someone seen your setup and told you this is needed?  Here is what you need to cut the cable TV cord: 

1.  Cable internet with moderate to fast speed/25 Megabits per      second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

2.  Wireless router

3.  Smart TV or a streaming device

4.  Antenna to get local TV channels

The intial setup cost is low unless you have an old tube TV and really need to buy new.  Do you have a portable device like an iPad?  What type of computer do you have?  What type of TV?