Honored Contributor

I'm getting ready to activate my new Tracfone from QVC. I'm keeping my same phone number and hope to transfer my minutes, texts, and data. Every time I have done this online I always have trouble and end up calling them anyway. It has gotten to the point I dread getting a new phone and sometimes I just add airtime to my phone. How do most of you handle your activation of your phone and do you have as much trouble as I do?

Valued Contributor

I have had a Tracfone for years without any issue.  I ordered one for my husband and he wants my older, smaller phone, so I started the transfer to this phone.  I have experienced over a week of no phone service and am still waiting on a new SIMS card for his phone.  I would not wish this experience on anyone.

Honored Contributor

I activated a new phone last fall under the same conditions you describe and had no trouble at all.  The whole process took about 5 minutes.   Got all my minutes and service time. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have had numerous Tracfones over the years and never had a problem transfering time, etc. until this last phone. I got the TSV Tracphone from Evine this time and evidently the minutes were not loaded on the phone. I had no trouble activating it, but could not get my minutes, after going through 3 customer service people I finally gave up. I could not understand the CS people due to their heavy foreign accent. So not only did I feel bad about not being able to understand them, it also cost me money to return the phone. I'm keeping my old Tracfone and will just add airtime. 

Respected Contributor

Got my last Tracfone from HSN.  It is always trouble when you get a new phone.  This last time I tried activating online and it said the number you have to give them (SIM?) was already in use.  I called HSN and got a great rep and she made a call and within 5 minutes my phone was activated.  Unfortunately my time did not carry over but with all the hassle, I just let it go.  I'm keeping this phone as long as I possibly can to avoid a repeat.  Dealing with Tracfone CS is a nightmare!  Recently I signed up for a monthly plan online at Tracfone - the first month loaded, second month didn't.  Now I just get cards and load onto my phone - it's just easier. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm getting ready to activate my new Tracfone from QVC. I'm keeping my same phone number and hope to transfer my minutes, texts, and data. Every time I have done this online I always have trouble and end up calling them anyway. It has gotten to the point I dread getting a new phone and sometimes I just add airtime to my phone. How do most of you handle your activation of your phone and do you have as much trouble as I do?

@Jordan2 - write down what minutes, data and text you currently have so if it doesn't transfer, you can ask them to add those amounts on top of your minutes from the Q. 

Honored Contributor

Read the directions several times and have all info ready.  I activate my phone online.  I am guilty of not paying attention to the directions.  As long as you follow the steps, you should be good.  The steps are so much easier than they were a couple years ago.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal YES.  Always write down your minutes, text and data in case something goes wrong - I take a picture of it on my phone too! lol.  Easiest to use website.  It's new and improved.

Respected Contributor

The accents can be a problem, but if I am having trouble understanding her/him, I then ask to be transferred to someone in the USA.  They can usually do that for me.

Respected Contributor

This year I decided to not buy a new TracFone but to keep mine from last year, which I like.  (Samsung Core Prime).  Since I did not need more mins., text or data, I went online to extend my service days for another year, and I was able to do that for $50.00.  So my service is good till Sept. 2018.