Honored Contributor

Re: what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

I have unsuckered myself from giving in to stores that want a donation for this or that.  I am there to shop, I will give to whom I decided to give and when on my own terms.  I'm getting tired of being in a line and basically called out when you don't give and they ring a bell or make an announcement when you do.  That is totally inappropriate in a store when you are paying out.

Respected Contributor

In Springfield, Missouri, the police have organized for any one standing on the street, to take them to a job. If they refuse, they tell them to get off the street. Or they will get a ticket.

This one place was really bad. But in the Walmart parking lot close to the street was a fancy car they were driving. We watched from a nearby McDonalds and they would take turns going to the car and smoking.

There are lots of places in Springfield where people in real need can get help.

Honored Contributor

I’m definitely not a sucker regarding any type of panhandling. Lived all my life in the urban jungle and know that it’s 99% scam.  Now I live in the boonies, and neighbors were just talking today about a “family group” showing up at the local supermarket parking lot who have been spotted elsewhere and are definitely a scam. The size of the town/city is irrelevant.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Warrior Canine Connection, they train dogs to help disabled veterans and their families.  I donate both money and dog supplies for their "no-fail mission."

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I guess I've become a skeptic about these things.  I have a hard time believing their "story".  In our area it's so common it seems like an excuse not to work and live off other people. I've seen one of them get into a  rather expensive car late in the afternoon.  Dubious about their authenticity.  I don't donate.  If I did, it would be in the form of a hamburger or ??? 

I'm also getting very skeptical of all the "charities" that call  each week to support the police, sheriff's office, firemen, etc.  There can't possiblly be that many charities for each one.  Overkill IMHO.

I continue to support those charities that pay smaller salaries to their CEO's, etc.  DH checked them out several years ago. You'd be amazed at how much goes for the execs and maintaining fancy offices.  

@Perkup

Yes Charity Navigator is a good source to use in deciding which charities to give to, and they normally include the info on the salary given to the CEO (unless the charity refused to provide the info to them and to me thats a sign to pass on that charity).................

@KathyPet

I do feel sorry for some of the people that are panhandling especially the ones with pets.(our city outlawed this but it doesnt seem to stop them)...For those that want to do something for them, I think its better to go to a fast food place and pick up some food (and something for their pet)  instead of giving them money which they can use for booze or drugs.......If they are really desperate and hungry they will welcome the food, if they are ungrateful, there motives are questionable..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

I get suckered into bins at work that collect clothing or food for the shelters.  Along with the boy scouts and USPS food drives.  I do feel bad for the panhandlers at the exits by the mall, but the paper setup a sting and reported what they saw.  They also said not to give them cash, give it to the food bank instead.

@GCR18

There was a local news story, sadly some arent even real panhandlers or homeless people. .....They are scammers and organize and hit the streets for the money....Someone was at a coffee shop and even overheard them hand out the assignments for the day and then convene to count the days proceeds...and reported it to the police.....The police suggested giving to legit charities that help those that are actually looking for help and will take them in, help them find places to live, jobs etc......They also said that some of the homeless have been offered help by many different charities and have refused help because they didnt like the charity's "rules" no booze/drugs are willing to be placed in a job program. He said not to give to them it just enables them they are hard core addicts and dont want the help, just want the cash.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Yorkie puppies, I'd take them all home if I could.

Trusted Contributor

NOT a sucker here, either.  There was one local couple who were making a financial killing panhandling by putting their two young children in a grocery cart next to them.  Those children were sweltering in the hot sun all day long.  Yes, they were reported, and yes, their children were taken away by child protective services. 

The panhandling got so bad here that local printing businesses created cards for free, that listed local food/shelter services and encouraged the public to help themselves to the cards to hand out to anyone who was panhandling.  The incidents went way down.

Do I care?  Yes, I do.  In fact, One day I had just dropped off a couple of bags of groceries (and pet food) to our local food pantry.  I then drove to a nearby shopping center.  I wasn't out of my car 5 minutes before being approached by a giant of a man asking for money to buy food.  Geesh.  I just donated maybe $40-worth-of-food to the food bank and still got hit up for money.

I give to local charities that I'm familiar with and I give to a couple of big charities that I check out on Charity Navigator online.  I'm happy to do it.  But I don't give money to panhandlers.  

Honored Contributor

Food drives.   I spearheaded the very first ones at work, and always participate in the one at the school where my daughter teaches.   

In this area, the people with signs at the intersections are scammers.   The one who alternated between the mall intersection and Wal-Mart intersection got caught several years ago; he didn’t even live in this county.   State Police received several anonymous tips as to his identity, prior to the tip from someone who witnessed the man being dropped off for “work”, giving the description and license plate number of the vehicle.   When the police went to his house and confronted him, the man admitted to having quit his job to scam full-time, because he made more money in handouts than he did working.   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have unsuckered myself from giving in to stores that want a donation for this or that.  I am there to shop, I will give to whom I decided to give and when on my own terms.  I'm getting tired of being in a line and basically called out when you don't give and they ring a bell or make an announcement when you do.  That is totally inappropriate in a store when you are paying out.

@Sooner

Me too. It just flat out annoys the heck out of me. I say “not today.” The poor checkers are forced to ask, I don’t blame them. Some stores put it into the debit/credit terminal as you’re paying, so they don’t have to ask, but if you do donate they can see it and they thank you. IMO it should be no one’s business what I give to, how much, how often, where and when. I don’t need “prompting.” 

And hello? Most seniors are on a fixed income. It can totally become a “shaming thing” from that POV.  Just how much disposable income do they think the average person 70+ has?

If I am a sucker for anything, it’s animal charities; even there, I only have so much I’m able to give.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all