Honored Contributor

Re: what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

It might be OT, but since many are talking about helping the homeless.

I saw this video, and was shocked by the amount of  homeless people in downtown LA. (in our own country)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5214593/Christmas-Day-2017-Downtown-Los-Angeles.html

Frequent Contributor

Several years ago as I was sitting at McDonald's drive through line, a nice looking young couple approached me with a sign needing money. I rolled down my window and told them to meet me inside and I would purchase their meals. So I pulled out of line, parked and met them inside. They proceeded to order - meals for 5 people, 5 milkshakes and on and on! Oh well, I guess they were very hungry or had a van full of little ones perhaps. I must admit my eyebrows were a bit raised by the time they finished ordering!

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet

I keep a $5 bill ready in my car at all times, for this very reason.  I could live with myself for giving $5 to a scammer, but I could not live with myself for passing by someone in need, so it's a decision I've made to err on the side of compassion.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@KathyPet

I keep a $5 bill ready in my car at all times, for this very reason.  I could live with myself for giving $5 to a scammer, but I could not live with myself for passing by someone in need, so it's a decision I've made to err on the side of compassion.

@house_cat

My husband thinks like that, too.  Imo it's a good way to see it Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

My husband and I recently saw a homeless man holding up a paper sign asking for help and the next minute bending down to take a sip from his Starbucks coffee cup.

Mercy!

@Regal Bee

The coffee could have been given to him.  My daughter often gives food or drink to someone homeless,  I often see people doing that.  She’s also bought cans of dog food for those with a dog.

@Noel7 Well, then someone must have given him new clothes and an almost new pair of running shoes.

I consider myself a kind and giving person, but to both my husband and myself, this man was a fake. 

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

My husband and I recently saw a homeless man holding up a paper sign asking for help and the next minute bending down to take a sip from his Starbucks coffee cup.

Mercy!

@Regal Bee

The coffee could have been given to him.  My daughter often gives food or drink to someone homeless,  I often see people doing that.  She’s also bought cans of dog food for those with a dog.

@Noel7 Well, then someone must have given him new clothes and an almost new pair of running shoes.

I consider myself a kind and giving person, but to both my husband and myself, this man was a fake. 

I agree that clothes, haircut, fresh shaven are red flags @Regal Bee  You hadn't mentioned his clothes and almost new running shoes.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7  This is something that makes me crazy....I do believe people of this nature actually hurt seriously hurting people. 

I saw a woman panhandling and then getting into a very expensive car. It hurts my heart for those that are very needy.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if being "a sucker for" is the right phrase, but I get very upset and tearful about sick, injured or neglected animals.  The suffering just breaks my heart. 

I support jail time for anyone who hurts an animal on purpose.

Super Contributor

Having worked 20+ years in social services I  try not to fall prey to street panhandlers. (On occasion I do.)  While I’m sure some are truly needy most are dodging responsibility.  A caveat...some mentally ill people have a terrible  go of it and disability payments are not even subsistence living.  To truly help I donate to the local food bank directly.  

If I know someone is in need I anonymously drop money in their handbag or slip money into a coat pocket.  

I’m a true believer in helping the working poor.

Respected Contributor

Here's what I have done many times. If there are animals with him, I run to the nearest grocery store and come back with a couple of sandwiches and bottles of water for the people, a bowl so they can water their dog or cat, and a bag and a couple cans of whatever pet food is appropriate.  I never give cash. We were in San Francisco not long ago and a young couple was asking for food along the sidewalk. I went into a little neighborhood grocery store and came back with some food and water for them. Do not give cash which may simply enable them if they have a drug or alcohol problem.