Esteemed Contributor

what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

For me it is homeless people standing on the side of the road with their signs who have a pet with them.  Usually a dog although I have seen a few cats.   I cannot not give them a donation.  I always say the money is for food for their pet.  Who knows what they do with it but I cannot not donate.

Regular Contributor

Re: what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

You got me on this one - I am the same exact way!

Respected Contributor

I guess I've become a skeptic about these things.  I have a hard time believing their "story".  In our area it's so common it seems like an excuse not to work and live off other people. I've seen one of them get into a  rather expensive car late in the afternoon.  Dubious about their authenticity.  I don't donate.  If I did, it would be in the form of a hamburger or ??? 

I'm also getting very skeptical of all the "charities" that call  each week to support the police, sheriff's office, firemen, etc.  There can't possiblly be that many charities for each one.  Overkill IMHO.

I continue to support those charities that pay smaller salaries to their CEO's, etc.  DH checked them out several years ago. You'd be amazed at how much goes for the execs and maintaining fancy offices.  

Esteemed Contributor

I used to have a bag of dog food and a toy or two in my truck in case I saw someone needing food for their pet. I’ve used it a couple of times.

Respected Contributor

Kathy Pet, I have one for the books, years ago my husband traveled with his job, and one of the fella's saw a man with a sign peddling for money, welll he didn't want thefella to go buy booze, so he purchased a meal from McDonald for him, the man looked right at the purchaser and boldly said If it's a hamburger or fish I am tired of eating either one. 

Honored Contributor

I get suckered into bins at work that collect clothing or food for the shelters.  Along with the boy scouts and USPS food drives.  I do feel bad for the panhandlers at the exits by the mall, but the paper setup a sting and reported what they saw.  They also said not to give them cash, give it to the food bank instead.

Trusted Contributor

I also don't give money.  I either stop at a McDonalds and buy a couple of burgers if the person is alone and dog treats if theres a dog.

Respected Contributor

Last week on my trip to the post office, I saw a lady hand a bag of food from Burger King, to a “ homeless guy” ...after she walked away, he tossed the bag onto the ground ):

Valued Contributor

I don't give to people in the street with signs.  I size them up and find them to be too clean and well dressed to be homeless.  Further, they can get help from government offices and private charities.  I'd imagine they could even go to the police station and get advice on where to go.  The ones I see seem to be scam artists.  If you compare them to the homeless in cities, you'll notice the difference and realize they are not living on the streets.  You're better off giving to food banks, charities, or homeless shelters than directly to people.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet

I’m not a sucker.