Honored Contributor

Re: what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

Dogs,for sure but when i see the people standing with signs ,i want to help but the thought comes to me ,they are standing out here,why can't they work?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I guess I've become a skeptic about these things.  I have a hard time believing their "story".  In our area it's so common it seems like an excuse not to work and live off other people. I've seen one of them get into a  rather expensive car late in the afternoon.  Dubious about their authenticity.  I don't donate.  If I did, it would be in the form of a hamburger or ??? 

I'm also getting very skeptical of all the "charities" that call  each week to support the police, sheriff's office, firemen, etc.  There can't possiblly be that many charities for each one.  Overkill IMHO.

I continue to support those charities that pay smaller salaries to their CEO's, etc.  DH checked them out several years ago. You'd be amazed at how much goes for the execs and maintaining fancy offices.  

@Perkup  I knew a woman whose husband tossed her out with nothing but her Cadillac.  Nothing.  She slept in it for a long time before there was room at the local woman's shelter. 

She used to say that people most likely thought she was a scammer.

Without knowing any story, whether they have a nice car or are with a pet or what ever:

Give if you feel it is right to do so.

If not, then don't.

But never assume that a scam is happening "just because" something doesn't fit one's perception of how a homeless person should look.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

We always donate to the Sally Army kettles.  I have never heard anything bad about them. I think they are  good to the poor ,and genuinely  trustworthy

Respected Contributor

Feral cats

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Contributor

I can't pass by a bell ringer without putting something in their kettle.  A friend of mine has given some small token of appreciation to the bell-ringer (like a candy bar or some other kind of treat).  I think I'm going to start that little tradition myself.

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

For me it is homeless people standing on the side of the road with their signs who have a pet with them.  Usually a dog although I have seen a few cats.   I cannot not give them a donation.  I always say the money is for food for their pet.  Who knows what they do with it but I cannot not donate.

Then donate a small bag of dog food for the dog instead of $. Better chance of the dog getting a meal then. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We always donate to the Sally Army kettles.  I have never heard anything bad about them. I think they are  good to the poor ,and genuinely  trustworthy

I grew up doing this, during a time when all of the bell-ringers were members of the SA and wore SA uniforms. You trusted that the money was going into SA coffers.

These days they pay people to man the kettles, and have for years. I’m less inclined to put money in a kettle for that reason. This year our local TV stations had a one-day drive at several sites in multiple counties with the SA and I donated online on the TV station website. They kept repeating that all of the money, food, toys would stay local. They raised close to a quarter of a million dollars - in a largely overall rural, blue migrant area.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Like others have said, the person on the side of the road with a pet.  I don't like to give money but a meal for the human and dog.  They may not be honest about their situation but that isn't my problem, I give because my heart tells me to.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I guess I've become a skeptic about these things.  I have a hard time believing their "story".  In our area it's so common it seems like an excuse not to work and live off other people. I've seen one of them get into a  rather expensive car late in the afternoon.  Dubious about their authenticity.  I don't donate.  If I did, it would be in the form of a hamburger or ??? 

I'm also getting very skeptical of all the "charities" that call  each week to support the police, sheriff's office, firemen, etc.  There can't possiblly be that many charities for each one.  Overkill IMHO.

I continue to support those charities that pay smaller salaries to their CEO's, etc.  DH checked them out several years ago. You'd be amazed at how much goes for the execs and maintaining fancy offices.  

@Perkup  I knew a woman whose husband tossed her out with nothing but her Cadillac.  Nothing.  She slept in it for a long time before there was room at the local woman's shelter. 

She used to say that people most likely thought she was a scammer.

Without knowing any story, whether they have a nice car or are with a pet or what ever:

Give if you feel it is right to do so.

If not, then don't.

But never assume that a scam is happening "just because" something doesn't fit one's perception of how a homeless person should look.

When a very large, expensive van pulls up and picks up a panhandler from the side of the road, then goes to the next corner and picks up another and travels further into town, picking up a third with a dog you begin to wonder.  When you're driving behind them and go all the way into the next little "burb" where they pick up yet a fourth, and IF you have a reasonable amount of intelligence, you can ASSUME that it's a scam.  Unless, of course, you want to ASSUME it's just a nice guy who picks up panhandlers just to be a helpful citizen. He's probably getting a large share of whatever money they collect. (Per the police)

I am sure there are stories out there that can excuse or explain almost anything, but I see this almost every day at certain times of the day. I live about ten minutes from a major highway intersection and shopping area. Only the truly naieve could fail to see the difference.

By the way, Cakers, I hope that you helped this woman you knew who had to live in her Caddy. Did you offer her a place to sleep or food? Or money to survive?  If I knew someone in that situation she would be sleeping in my guest room.

Honored Contributor

I donate year round, and at Holiday time I donate through my job for presents for needy children, and at one of our local Nursing homes...I also donate throughout the year to St. Jude's. When my children were young, we always donated to Toys For Tots, and now my grandchildren do it. My grandson goes with his father once a month to help out at a shelter as well...Very important to teach them from a young age to care for others.